Sky and DVB-T Please explain.

protonpower

Standard Member
Hi Guys, I have looked through this Forum and can't find anything and sorry if I have missed it? :D

OK My question is how do I connect my Sky to my DVB-T Card.
I have an Amstrad box (new) has Two Scarts, RCA (Audio) Out, Two RF Outs, One Plug that looks like a PC in?
I have MCE With a FlyDBV-T Card and it has a S-Video In.
I have connected the second scart to the S-Video using a composite converter.
So I have Scart-> Composite to Composite-> S-Video.
I have changed the setting in Sky to make it RGB instead of PAL.
But I used the MCE and tuned (retuned a few times) and can't find sky.
I have used the DVB software from the FlyDVB card and click on AV in or S-Video I get nothing.
What am I doing wrong :confused: ?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The standard Sky box only outputs Composite via the VCR Scart and a choice of RGB or PAL (Composite) from the TV Scart...not S-Video.
AFAIK there were a couple of early Grundig Sky boxes that had an S-Video out.
If you had an Analogue TV card you could connect the RF out from the Sky box and tune it in on its default RF68...it cannot be tuned to with a DVB-T TV card.

protonpower

Standard Member
Thanks for that, but can't i pick it up on my DVB software as an AV or S-Video in? Can I get a scart to S-video converter and would that work? Would I need some other software to be able to use get SKY?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that, but can't i pick it up on my DVB software as an AV or S-Video in? Can I get a scart to S-video converter and would that work? Would I need some other software to be able to use get SKY?

Does your DVB-T card have Composite video in?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I have an adapter which came with it and it has a composite and audio connectors.

Connect the adapter using the yellow/red/white phonos to a switchable scart adapter and plug it in to the VCR out on the Sky box and you should then be able to view/record Sky.

protonpower

Standard Member
thanks jaycee, i have tried that already and get nothing? I have just tried to connect the yellow phono and get nothing. i have tried it with the white and red and yellow phonos also and still get nothing? I know I should be able to pick it up automatically, but I get no joy. Do I need a special adapter?

I have connected my DVD using just the Yellow Phono and it works So the AV-In works on the DVB software from Lifeview.
I tried swapping the scarts at the back to see if it would work on AV-In with SKY but it hasn't.
My tv even picks up SKY when I connect it to the Video Scart out in the Sky Box.

jizzer

Standard Member
thanks jaycee, i have tried that already and get nothing? I have just tried to connect the yellow phono and get nothing. i have tried it with the white and red and yellow phonos also and still get nothing? I know I should be able to pick it up automatically, but I get no joy. Do I need a special adapter?

I have connected my DVD using just the Yellow Phono and it works So the AV-In works on the DVB software from Lifeview.
I tried swapping the scarts at the back to see if it would work on AV-In with SKY but it hasn't.
My tv even picks up SKY when I connect it to the Video Scart out in the Sky Box.

does your DVBT card have an RF in ?? if so you can connect the sky to that via the RF 2 on the digibox and tune the card into the RF output that the digibox kicks out ...assuming the DVBT card also has an analogue tuner

JayCee

Distinguished Member

No you don't need a special adapter.
If you are using a scart to 3 phonos lead it is probably a phono-scart direction lead only...you need a scart-phono direction lead and that is why I suggested the switched scart adapter...used in conjunction with a 3 phono to 3 phono lead it will do the job.

jizzer

Standard Member
As it's a DVB-T TV card it won't have and I have already covered this.

:nono: Err the compro card I have in my pc has a digital AND analogue tuner hence i have sky fed into it via the rf2 return.That is the reason I gave the reply

JayCee

Distinguished Member
:nono: Err the compro card I have in my pc has a digital AND analogue tuner hence i have sky fed into it via the rf2 return.That is the reason I gave the reply

Yes, I understand that but your model is marketed as a Dual TV Tuner card and not just a DVB-T card.
If you had read the thread you would have seen I had already asked the OP that question.
I also Googled his make/model and satisfied myself it didn't have an analogue tuner before moving on with other suggestions.

protonpower

Standard Member
Thanks JayCee, I'll pop over to Maplins and get a scart-phono direction lead switch and se if that works, I'll hold thumbs...

jizzer

Standard Member
Yes, I understand that but your model is marketed as a Dual TV Tuner card and not just a DVB-T card.
If you had read the thread you would have seen I had already asked the OP that question.
I also Googled his make/model and satisfied myself it didn't have an analogue tuner before moving on with other suggestions.

Oh please.... Put the handbag away!!

protonpower

Standard Member
Yes well, handbag fights aside, I bought a Scart to 2 Phono and S-Video and connected it to the PC and the picture is black and white. So we are getting there, why is the picture black and white? Busy Googeling myself and no luck there either.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yes well, handbags aside, I bought a Scart to 2 Phono and S-Video and connected it to the PC and the picture is black and white. So we are getting there, why is the picture black and white?

Because you have S-Video selected as the input instead of Composite.

protonpower

Standard Member
Well I was standing there looking at the different cables. One was Scart to S-Video only, the other was Scart to 2 x Phono and S-Video (which is the one I got) Can't get there now, have to wait till the weekend. So that means that I need a Scart to S-Video?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
So that means that I need a Scart to S-Video?

Nooooo...it won't work.
The only Sky digiboxes that can output S-Video are Sky+ and certain Grundig models.
The only type of useable video output you have from your digibox is bog-standard Composite so you need to get a Scart to Composite video + Audio lead...remember going in the direction of Scart > Phono which will have a scart plug at one end and 3 phono plugs at the other...Yellow (Video) and Red/White (Audio R&L)...there is a switchable one here or a switched scart adapter similar to the one here and a 3 Phono to 3 Phono lead.
You cannot get S-Video from a scart unless the equipment outputs S-Video via scart, your Amstrad Sky digibox doesn't output S-Video...you stated in your first post you had a composite to S-Video converter...it isn't...it's an adapter lead...it doesn't convert composite to S-Video.
Hope that is a bit clearer now.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom