Sky+ and Dolby Digital - connections

lexmark

Standard Member
Reaction score
Should I connect a home cinema system to the sky+ box via the optical or should I connect the home cinema system through the TV connections?

Thanks?

Only an optical connection to your amp will give you Dolby Digital 5.1.

But I thought the decoder was in in the home cimena amp. Therefore connecting the TV to to the home cinema system via the phonos would then be decoded?

If this is not correct (which is very possible!!!), what purpose do the phono connections have?

The phono connectors will only give you stereo (or dolby surround) sound. The optical cable is a must for DD5.1

John

lexmark said:
But I thought the decoder was in in the home cimena amp. Therefore connecting the TV to to the home cinema system via the phonos would then be decoded?

If this is not correct (which is very possible!!!), what purpose do the phono connections have?
The phono cables are for carrying an analogue stereo single to either av amp or tv set. If there is a decoder in the amp or tv you can get dolby surround sound but you can't get dolby digital

After reading this i hooked mine up via optical and the difference in sound was like night and day.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom