1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky and dolby 5.1

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mrbliss, Mar 26, 2004.

1. mrbliss

mrbliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does digital satellite or Freeview broadcast doldy surround sound, or is it NICAM stereo only? If so, which channels and programmes? I am thinking of getting a home cinema system but only if surround sound is available via broadcast as I rarely watch pre-recorded DVDs

2. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think you need sky+ to get DD5.1 and even then it's only on some broadcasts.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    No Dolby Digital on DTT even though some STB's have optical outputs. However programs made over the last decade should at the very least have a surround(Pro Logic) soundtrack even though it's never advertised as such.
    A modern amp using twin RCA phonos or digital connection with basic Dolby Surround or Dolby ProLogic II will create a far far better soundfield than any stereo amp or TV could ever do.

4. Leander

Leander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There are different flavours of Dolby surround. The original Dolby surround and its successor Dolby Pro Logic are available on all Nicam broadcasts assuming that they were decoded that way in the first place.

Dolby Digital 5.1 is only available, as Rad says, from the Sky+ optical ouput and is only on Sky Movies 1,2 and 3 (I've seen somewhere stated that it's also occasionally on Disney but can't confirm it). Even then, not all films are in DD, you can check on the EPG by looking for the DD flag.

Keith