Sky + and DOlby 2

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by scottgod, Nov 28, 2002.

1. scottgod

scottgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have connected my Sky + system to my Sony Davc770 via the optical cable but cant get any sound from the rear speakers and cant use dolby prologic2. I have also connected it via an s-video to scart adapter to the tv.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers Scott

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sky doesn't tranmit Pro Logic II AFAIK. For the DD, check the output mode of the Optical output in Services>Sky+ Settings.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

If you have set the digibox to output Dolby on the optical output then you won't hear any rear effects unless you are listening to a movie with Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.
    As far as I know PrologicII is then name for the electronic processing of a stereo signal that can generate a soundfield which emulates 5.1, don't quote me on this but perhaps the stereo provided by the twin phonos is better suited for delivering the signal to the amp or switch the optical output back to stereo and see if that makes a difference.

4. scottgod

scottgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys, I will give it a go.

Cheers Scott:p

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I have Sky+ connected to my Sony Dav-s880 (optical) with no problems.
    I leave the Sony set to prologic2, with the rears firing up everytime there is surround content (not all programs have it etc).
    When i switch to the widescreen channel when a Dolby Digital 5.1 film is on, the Sony switches to DD5.1 it's self(automatic).
    Have you gone into the SKY+ boxes sound menu, and enabled DD5.1? (it is set to stereo PCM as default).;)

6. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Sounds like a compatibility problem. PLII is effectively a DSP mode, used to convert 2 channel stereo into pseudo 5.1 surround. It could be that your surround system is only capable of processing an analogue input signal using PLII. Might be that processing from a digital source has been added to the s880 that fulabeer is using. If adjusting the settings on Sky+ doesn't solve the problem, then connecting via analogue RCA could be the solution if you want to listen in PLII. For what it's worth, I have been very impressed with PLII output (using the analogue outputs of my Digibox) since I upgraded my receiver.

Let the folks know how you get on. There's bound to be others out there with similar gear who will be interested.

7. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    hi,

There isn't any difference between ProLogic I and Prologic II with respect to what's actually broadcast.....provided that the material is dolby surround encoded, then it's all Dolby Surround.

The Prologic II decoder will make a "better" job of making the soundfield more "discrete" and "5.1- like"

Brian

8. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Yep, PLII improves the surround characteristics of Dolby Surround encoded signal (sounds much more like DD5.1). Also is able to add surround effects to 2 channel soundtracks, including music.