1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ and Denon 2805 to PWD7

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Tim-Ann, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Hi there,

Just about to take delivery of a Denon 2805 and need to know the best way to connect Sky+ to the amp? I also have a Panasonic E95 DVDR which has component out and a Sony Video which has composite out I assume please correct me if I am wrong that the E95 goes into the component in on the 2805 the Sony video goes into the composite in on the 2805 but which is the best way to connect Sky+?

Is it using the Sky+ S-Video out to the 2805 or running a scart lead to a JS Tech scart to component converter and then going into the second component in on the 2805?

Which connection would produce the best PQ from Sky+ and finally sound am I better using the Optical out on Sky+ or just the standard audio out on Sky+?

Many thanks for any help or advice, Tim.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Optical out will give you DD on the applicable channel and your DAC in the denon i would be willing to guess is better quality than in the Sky+ box.

For the video question I am in the same quandery as I am about to have Sky+ installed already having a AVR 2805 - though I have option 3 of running RGB Scart direct to my PD30 TV and by-pass the AVR for picture on Sky+

Personally I have a spare QED S Video cable and so will test RGB against Svideo->component when it is installed tomorrow. There should be a slight improvement if using RGB as the base over SVideo but I will wait and see.

3. simeyfour

simeyfour
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tested various different connections from SKY+ through amp to TV and projector.

I have a Denon 2910 DVD, Denon 3805 amp, Panasonic AE700 projector and JVC 32"LCD.

I connect the SKY+ via RGB SCART to TV for normal everyday viewing.

SKY+ to AMP via SVHS and optical audio, Amp to projector using component.

I must say i can tell a very slight difference in performance when using SVHS via amp rather than RGB direct but i had to look very very closely.

IMHO SVHS via amp and component out to viewing source is probably the cheapest and easiest way to go...IF you want the best possible picture then spending a few quid extra to convert SCART to might give you a 5% increase..

Hope this all makes sense...

Si

4. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Hi there,

Astaroth what do you mean by 'DD on the applicable' not sure what DD is is it the optical output on Sky+?

Simeyfour I only have a Plasma PWD7 with component in so hopefully I can route my 3 inputs, Sky+, E95 and Sony Video into the 2805 and one component output to the Plasma.

Hopefully the 2805 will arrive tomorrow to try all the suggestions and see if there is any major difference.

Tim.

5. simeyfour

simeyfour
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i only have component out on the 3805....the way to go...Composite is not good quality....Do you have no other option?

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    DD = Dolby Digital.

A couple of the Sky Movie, Pay Per View films & The Disney channel broadcaste some of their films with DD and you must have the optical connection connected to an AVR to have this working.

7. fras

fras

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I connected Sky+ to the 2805 using mid-range S-video QED cable and an ixos optical cable. Works great as the 2805 up-converts the composite video to component. Not sure if it's full progressive scan, but it looks good on my viera 42" plasma!

Hope this helps,

Fras.