SKY+ and ch5

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Starburst, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Anyone else aware of the problems with recording and live pausing ch5 over the last week or so?
    Seems only to affect programming after 6pm.

Had to dig out another vhs tape to record this evenings CART review because of the awful blocking on ch5 recordings made using SKY+.
    Note, viewing ch5 live as it were is fine.

2. Diane

Diane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it actually work. I've seen some good reviews but also accounts of one or two problems and some rumours about persistent failed recordings

Diane Maddox

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Well I've had it for 4 months now and it did go through one month with a lot of failed recordings. Since then there has been some new software which I believe has solved many of the problems, I haven't had a failed recording in 6 weeks now and I use SKY+ a lot.

4. DaveT

DaveT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experience is the same - initially, there were lots of failed recordings, quite a few cases where it claimed to be receiving no signal (requiring a complete reboot) and a few missed starts / ends of programs.

It got to the stage where I couldn't trust it, so I used to use a video 'just in case' (kind of lose the benefits...).

However, in the last couple of months, I have had almost no problems with the system, and I love it! I have just had to change my Sky+ box, because the hard disk was whining (not good for relaxing of an evening...) - this is a problem I know a few people have seen. The new one is better - let's hope it stays the same.

In summary, I love it (despite the initial teething problems), but I *do* hate paying Sky an extra £10 a month for it.

Dave T.

5. Jon Baker

Jon Baker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes this problem has been raised on other BBs and reported to sky. Its seems to be caused by another channel PCNE which shares the transponder as the problem only happens after 6pm when this channel starts broadcasting.