1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ and archiving to dvd recorder?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by veitchy, Jun 16, 2005.

1. veitchy

veitchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody-1st post and have tried searching to find the answer unsucessfully so please bear with me and accept my apologies if this is something that gets asked all the time....

I've read the thread about the sky+ refurb box for £49 via cancellations and am probably going to go down that road but will want to be able to archive programmes (to save HDD space) to a dvd recorder that I am also yet to purchase.

Can anyone advise on the cheapest half-decent dvd recorder and any other stuff I need to consider to acheive the above???

Thanks in advance (again,sorry if this is a dumb question)!

2. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,
    i have the phillips DVDR70 and sky+, i rig them up together with a good scart lead, then all i do is press play on sky+ and record on the DVDR.
    its as simple as that.
    jim

3. veitchy

veitchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers,

Thats music to my ears, thanks for the advice matey.....

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I ended up getting a Panasonic E85 with inbuilt hard drive so that I could edit out adverts etc. I'm really pleased I went for one with a hard drive in as it means I can wait until I've got quite a few programs on Sky+ that I want to transfer, then do the lot in one go. I then edit and split them into separate programs on the E85 hard disk. If you are doing it straight to a DVD then you are limited to a couple of hours and so can't leave it running over night.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Panasonic E85 and E95 are both very good boxes, and are available quite cheaply at present, because there's new models out soon.

6. veitchy

veitchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, thanks for the advice. At the moment I'm thinking that i'll not be archiving a ton of stuff-just things like kid's programmes for my toddler that will get watched repeatedly and other occasional bits and pieces so another HDD in the recorder would be a rarely appreciated luxury.
    I think what I need is something basic that can handle most formats, is reliable, compact in size (height), and ideally is around the £150 mark.
    I'm open to suggestions although I do appreciate i'm aiming at the lower (lowest?) end of the market so am not expecting miracles performance-wise....

Any thoughts?

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well take a look here and on Pricerunner

There's quite a few around the £150 mark - the Panasonic DMR-ES10, JVC DR-M10EK, Lite-On LVW-5006B - all fairly basic machines.

8. veitchy

veitchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick,will do just that...