Sky and Aerial through a distributor???

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by G1OSE, Jan 8, 2012.

1. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All

I have a problem that my brain cant compute, so i need some help from you good people.

Need:
    To have Sky with Magic eyes and freeview in every room in the house except living room as it has Sky HD box so not worried about the freeview.

Set up day 1:
    Sky HD box downstairs
    SLX8 in loft which feeds all sockets in the house with TV and DAB from the loft aerials

Changed set up too:
    Sky HD downstairs, used the RF2 out into the aerial socket in the living room to take the signal to the loft (basically reversed the use of the cable to living room)
    SLX8 replaced by SLX8B to use magic eyes

The above works well but the only bit thats missing is the important members of my house (the females) have requested that the sky is great but sky and freeview would be better.

This is where i fall down, i cant put the aerial into the skybox to do this as im using that cable to take sky to the distributor, is there a way around this? maybe the old aerial cable into a Y splitter as well as sky feed into the main input on the distributor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as currently my life isnt worth living with the moaning im enduring as a result of my brainwave to distribute sky around the house...

Thanks

2. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    You've got it!

3. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the quick reply, will this affect the signal on either? will it also allow the magic eyes to still operate?

Thanks again

4. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Try it!!

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    Oddly, there's another thread on the same subject today: http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-sky/1571459-sky-second-tv.html.
    Unless I'm missing something about it I don't see why this is a question at all as the answer is so obvious.

What is there to split?

And to OP no, a combiner shouldn't affect the signal or block the IR, but the best way is to try it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  6. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Semantics, yet again................:p

7. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok so i have done this and it carried the sky picture and would light up the red lights on the magic eyes but not allow the channel to be changed, since removing the splitter and Aerial cable it works, so splitting them seems to stop the channels being changed.

Any ideas how to over come this?

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    There's nothing to split - you were combining two sources.
    In reply to your "will it also allow the magic eyes to still operate?" I agreed with S N's suggestion to "try it" but was obviously too optimistic in saying "a combiner shouldn't affect....block the IR" so it looks like you need to try a more sophisticated combiner or distributor - or simply use an IR extender instead of the "magic eye".

9. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    fine...combining not splitting, can we get past this now... :)
    where can i find a more sophisticated combiner that could work? Ir extenders are not an option with what i need.

Thanks

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    Good question - so another one back first - exactly what type did you get that doesn't work for the IR?
    Is it something as basic as one of these splitters;) used in the reverse direction?

11. step

step
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to jump in with a side question. G1OSE im looking for a set up similar to yours however not bothered regarding the freeview. Just looking to get sky sent from the living room to the bedroom. It is a new build house with aerial sockets in every room. I haven't got an aerial fitted as have no need but was looking at a set up similar to yours currently how easy/difficult is it and what is required. I see you use a SLX8B. Would someone need to come in professionally to do it or is it something that can be done by anyone? Sorry for the novice question and going slightly off your question but if anyone could help it would be brilliant.

12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    If the aerial points are wired you can use them. They're meant to take the signal from the aerial to a TV but the one in the main room can be used the other way round, so to speak, to take the channel currently selected on the satellite machine through its RF2 Out socket to a TV in the other room. You'd need to find the other end of its cable, and the end of the cable that goes down into the aerial point in the other room, and join them. Only if you want that to go to more than one room do you need any sort of splitter or distributor.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  13. step

step
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply. How would I go about joining them? Would I also be able to attach a magic eye at the end to enable the changing of channel?

14. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes that's exactly what I've used, I also tried another from b and q which has a filter but that blocked the 9v also.

15. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    step: With a male plug on each cable you can get a connector with two female sockets to join them.

16. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    does anyone know of a splitter/combiner that will allow both sky and aerial to be combined and the channels to be changed?

17. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
  18. step

step
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    Yes, they differ only in the type of plug they use, and they cover what I said in post #12 about more rooms.
    Good question about the cables - you mentioned the sockets in each room, but are those all actually cabled inside?;)

20. step

step
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is also a good question. I was just presuming that as it was a new build that it would of been cabled up. Could this not be the case? I did see a few different wires over the loft floor but was difficult as covered with layers of insulation.

21. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    They might not be, but you can easily find out by looking inside them.:)
    It was because you "couldn't find much" that I thought they might not be, but as there are actually "a few different wires over the loft floor" they probably are, and now it's up to you to try to trace where those come from, or go to.

22. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    I looked into this for another thread over in Freeview...

One issue I have concerns with is the aerial presenting a short circuit to the RF2 DC power for the magic eyes if a simple dc-pass 'splitter' is used to combine the two signals.

The unit I think may work is in this post http://www.avforums.com/forums/16082284-post36.html but it has still to be proved to work in that thread, which is continuing :eek:

Jason from AerialsandTV.com has had some success with filtered aerial combiners - provided the low-frequency input can be used for the Sky \RF signal {so no use for Rowridge or Crystal Palace, for example}. This is because the IR control signal is a modulated VHF frequency, rather than anything to do with the DC power, though. Television Aerial Boosters / Amplifiers, Splitters, Diplexers & Triplexers