1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ and ADSL

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by cheeky, Oct 30, 2003.

1. cheeky

cheeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused. I've just had Sky + fitted and it's great. One problem I'm noticing - not sure if it's just tonight or a known problem but I can't access the internet using my ADSL connection whilst the telephone connection is in the back of the Sky box. When it's plugged in I get connection errors and after taking it out the internet works fine.

Anyone else had this problem? I guess I'll be reporting this first thing tomorrow morning to Sky and see what they say.:confused:

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Is the Sky + connected via a filter?

3. cheeky

cheeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The telephone connection that runs from the back of sky is connected directly into the back of a telephone wall socket. Then I'm using a ADSL filter for the phone on the same wall socket. So I guess that means NO not directly.

Do you think the Sky connection needs it's own ADSL filter?
    If so, that means I have some tricky re-wiring to do.

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Not got B/Band myself yet, but been reading up on the subject, and from what I'm reading...YES! I believe all analogue items have to have their own filter before going into the BT socket.

So, should Sky have provided a filter as part of a 'standard installation'?

5. cheeky

cheeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bet Sky don't supply filters but I guess it's worth asking them.
    I had normal Sky digital before which was always connected to the telephone socket in the same way with no problems. I guess Sky+ is talking down the phone line more than normal Sky digital.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll keep the post updated when I phone Sky tomorrow morning.

6. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Found this..........

If your telephone line has been enabled for the broadband service, you must connect a microfilter wherever you have:

A telephone handset
    An answering machine
    A caller display unit
    A facsimile machine
    A computer with a PSTN dial-up (V.90) modem
    A digital set-top box connected to the telephone line for access to enhanced services (e.g. from Sky Digital)
    Any device that uses the normal telephone service to provide connection functionality
    The microfilter must always be connected at these locations, whether or not the equipment is actually in use on a call. This is because telephony equipment creates impedance changes on your telephone line.
    More than one telephony device can be connected to the telephone port on the microfilter via a doubler.

There are some digarms and further explanations on our Self-install page.

www.broadbandzone.co.uk/shop/faq-microfilter.html

If you have a home security or emergency call system which uses your telephone line to alert a remote service centre, we recommend that you discuss with your service provider suitability for use with microfilters.

7. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically everything that uses a phone line needs to go through a micro-filter: not just your modem.

Took my parents a while to figure that one out!

8. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My ADSL drops if I connect the fax machine and Sky+ to the line, filters or not. Either is OK but both at the same time causes the line to lose synch. Weird.

9. mk

mk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Whenever I plug the SKY+ into my telephone socket (via a ADSL filter or not) my Broadband stops working.

I use Plus.net as my provider, but not sure if it makes a difference who you use as the primary service is provided by BT anyway.

My only solution - don't plug SKY+ in when using Broadband.

10. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    When BT installed my ADSL a couple of years ago, they installed a master socket that had a built-in filter. This saves having to get filters for all the phones in the house.

I don't know if these are easy to self-install afterwards, but it might be worth considering.

If not, make sure you have good quality filters... it helps a lot in situations like you describe.

11. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have tried many filters from Ebuyer £2 ones (very good value) to the Fujitsu's I currently have and the fax and Sky just won't live on the same line as ADSL. It's not a problem as I rarely fax and just plug it in to send something.

12. cheeky

cheeky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'll buy myself another filter for the Sky+ line and see if this improves things. Fingers crossed.

I don't really like the idea of unplugging the sky line whilst using broadband coz that's just a pain in the backside plus it's a contractual agreement with Sky to have the telephone line plugged in at all times! (Not sure I care really, but I don't want to miss any updates)

13. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You need to use good quality filters on your line, it's just not worth the aggro otherwise. BB Forums are full of stories from people who bought cheap 'n' cheerful filters and then wonder why they have problems.

Now not everybody with cheap filters is unlucky, but if they don't work, then the ones designed to meet or exceed BT specs are worth trying next.

I used to have horrendous interference on my DECT phones with the free filters supplied with my ADSL modem. When I replaced them with the pukka ones, bingo! No more interference.

I would suggest you take a look at the following filters and perhaps give them a whirl:

http://www.broadbandzone.co.uk/shop/Microfilters_x40Splittersx412007.htm

Oh, and if you don't get any more joy, pop over to: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Their forums are a veritable treasure trove of all things ADSL.

14. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've got BT Broadband and have no problems using it with Sky+ and a standard digibox on a mirror sub. My filters are all the ones supplied by BT (£6 each I think)

John

15. EdR

EdR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If it gives you any comfort, I had the same problem when I had Sky + installed - after installation my ADSL router couldn't get a connection. One ADSL filter later, and everything works perfectly - hope the same is the case for you.....

16. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have that Fujitsu filter (bought from that store) and the fax and Sky on the line together still take down the ADSL. No explanation for it. Just one of those things.

17. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Steve, what other devices do you have on the line, maybe you're exceeding your maximum REN?

This shouldn't happen, perhaps the filter is dodgy. Then again, like you say, it might just be one of those things.