Sky+ and 5.1

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Desmo, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,972
    Yes, I know it's been talked about before but I need to clarify a few things as I'm having a, eerrr, discussion :) with someone on another forum about Sky+ and 5.1

He claims that most digiboxes have some form of digital out which I know is not right.
    He also says that his sony box (with optical out) is decoding the 5.1 signal that is connected directly to his Tosh TV. This could be right although I'm not upto date on Tosh TV's and if they have built in decoders/amps.

His final claim is that Sky+ is not transmitting 5.1 now. And that only the Matrix was done as a test.
    Now I don't have Sky+, and I'm only going by information that I have been reading here.

But I was under the impression that the only box 100% compatible with 5.1 was the Sky+ box and that they are transmitting 5.1 now, but only on selected films.

Who is right here?

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You Are!! Only in his dreams will his Sony provide 5.1 signals!

DaveP

3. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Your friend is a bit of a "bullshutter", really, isn't he. Does he claim to have had a trial for Man U but decided not to sign with them because he wasn't too keen on footy really?

OK, onto the facts:

1. The only boxes with digital out are the Sky+ box and the Sony. There *may* be some other obscure one, but I am not aware of any. To say there are many is completely incorrect.

2. His Sony box is *NOT* outputting 5.1. It is completely impossible for it to do this. The only box that can do this is the Sky+ box - there are NO others.

3. Sky are transmitting films in 5.1. A good proportion of the Sky Premier Widescreen output is in 5.1.

So, 3 - nil to you!

Chip.

4. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,972
    This is the good bit. He ISN'T my friend, so I can really lay into this bellend.

Is it possible that his sony box is sending a signal out via the optical out but his TV is decoding it as Pro-Logic?

5. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give us a URL to the thread and we'll join in...!:devil:

6. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,972
  7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a quick peek...........looks as if you will have to invite him here as registration is suspended for a while server performance:confused: if they got rid of all the onscreen graphics that are using maybe they could have a few more members...........i must say it's nice being back home:D