sky and 2nd RF

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jammyb2002, Mar 31, 2003.

1. jammyb2002

jammyb2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

i have a run of the mill pace digi box running Sky. this unit is situated in the lounge and uses the scart sockets to the tv and VCR. the RF unit is also connected to the VCR/TV also.

we have a second remote and magic eye that is in the bedroom thus giving us control over the digi box from upstairs.

this is from the 2nd RF output on the digibox. the reason for this thread is that the picture quality suffers. it has waves and a "corduroy trousers" grid like effect over the screen.

is there any way of fixing this? is it because of the distance the cable has to travel? (its one cable from digibox to wall, wall to bedroom to socket in bedroom, socket to magiceye, magiceye to VCR)

any ideas?

thanks!

jammy

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Several considerations which you've probably overlooked:-

The cable used to link from RF2 should be double-shielded satellite coax as must any other RF cables near the Digibox.

The RF output channel must be set to a number that doesn't interfere with any other TV station.

Even satellite cable suffers losses - from memory it's about 20dB per 100 metres at UHF so you should work out the losses for your particular length (say 6dB) and fit an amplifier to compensate. For your setup you may need to connect this fairly close to the Digibox and it needs to be a type that passes the remote signals from the "magic eye" as you call it (SkyLink system).

Most people think that adding a feed to a 2nd TV is just a matter of slinging in a bit of cable but satcure have written a whole eBook about the subject, called "Piping TV Around the House". (Yes, I'm no expert but I can read books and sound as if I am!)

Fman