1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + Amstard Problems

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by scottly, Jul 22, 2004.

1. scottly

scottly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased the above and was impressed with the technology being displayed before my eyes.
    It was not to last, in just a few days we were experiencing ghost lines vertically moving on the screen? I contacted Sky + and an engineer was booked for a visit. On the day of the engineer apointment the TV was demonstating the problem, which was a surprise as it seemed to more prominant in the evening. The engineer changed the box from Pal to RGB in the services section this seemed to fix the problem he then spent a few moments checking the set up and assuring me that all seemed to be ok, I must add that he spent more time on this than the first engineer did who was in and out in less than 20 minutes.
    A week had passed and All seemed to be ok. One evening we returned from a meal and had set up box to record a film, we turned the tv on to a nice bright blue screen with the scan bar underneath and no recording?? The system had frozen I had to turn of the main supply to get access to the box, this happend on 4 more occasions and I contacted Sky + and booked an engineer I explained that I would be happier with a Pace system and not an unproven Amstrad DX 180. On the day of the engineer appointment it was the same contracted engineer as the last visit. In his possesion he was carrying a box plain brown with PVR2 Pace on the barcode :confused: . I asked him if the box was a new box he replied that it was probably a refurb box, :nono: I stopped the engineer from installing and contacted SKY+ I explained the situation and history of the box and this took me 3 times at which I asked for a supervisor who was no better all I got was terms and conditions and no help what so ever I got the address of the Company MD and informed the supervisor that I would be contacting and complaining. It was explianed that if the box had failed on initial install I would have got a new box replacement but as it had failed after install I could have new or nearly new, I explained that If they thought I was going to except a box that was 6 months or more old they were sadly mistaken it was then explianed to me that I either take the new box or keep the old one, I posed a question to the supervisor and said that if a new car or PC was purchased by them would they expect a second hand one if the product had not carried out what it was designed for I received no straight answer just a robotic attitude from a not very helpfull person. I explained that I was not happy paying £199 + £59 for a second hand product the same price as a new box!!
    I then contacted Sky Customer services I was soon explaining twice to a more helpful person my situation at which I was passed onto a manager who was from the correct gene pool and very helpful, a senior engineer booking was established and the assurance that I would get a new box considering that I had only had mine for less than 3 weeks.
    The Moral of the story is :lesson:
    Loyalty-We as the customer are expected to adhere to contracural agreements etc but it all seems futile when the large company dumps on the little person by not respecting the long loyalty to service and payment of funds for service, on time and with no problems.
    Make sure that you check the box the equipment comes in for integrity and damage dont except that it may be OK! I dont think mine was handled correctly and I belive that there may have been a Hard drive issue or overheating problem.I would also not be happy with an Amstrad Box untill they seem to be operating correctly.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY do themselves no favours with the return policy for faulty units within the warranty period, they might be operating well within the comsumer laws but even the high street retailers know enough about customer service at least to attempt a repair of your property and then replace with new.

Might be worth remembering that the PACE boxes have been as prone to faults as the Amstrad units:)

3. scottly

scottly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply SB.
    You would think with the amount of funds generated by companies that they would be able to design a peice of technology that works correctly. We are obviously a very large proofing ground. The pace box that they left with me seems to be ok I have an engineer visiting this week with a brand new replacement box so sometimes complaining does work! :clap: