1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + after a powercut

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Puz, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Puz

Puz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I had a powercut overnight and went to check my pre-recorded programmes only for the box to tell me that it's empty and all 8+ hours of my stuff has vanished. I'm more than a bit miffed that this thing can't handle a powercut. It wasn't even recording anything when it happened.

Anyone else out there had this problem or know how to rectify it?

:mad:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I had a power cut in the early hours of last sunday, SKY+ was in standby but recording.
    A couple of hours later power came back and SKY+ continued the recording and lost none of the previous planner entires.
    I am told that when power is restored the unit does a scan of the hard drive to look for errors and if any are found it will remove the programs from the planner that contain the errors.

I suppose just like an IDE PC hard drive the SKY+ drive does not like losing power while it's active.

3. Puz

Puz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Looks like all my 10 entries had errors then. After a very helpful man (who was reading from a crib sheet I'm sure) had me do a restart of my box, all my entries were still conspicious by their absence. He then went on to make sure the recording facility was still all working and apologised for the loss of programmes but there wasn't anything else he could do.

Helpful enough and reasonably thorough but I'm still miffed @ loosing my recordings. Living in the sticks, powercuts are a problem but heres hoping when the next one comes my recording of "24" isn't in there :D

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are that exposed to power cuts I think you would be well advised to buy a UPS to protect your Sky+.

I'm surprised you lost everything, Sky+ has been out for about 18 months and during that time yours is the only post that I've seen that concerns this problem. I think you have been very unlucky indeed.

I've had one since the launch and I've survived about 8 power cuts in that time. At the end of the day, apart from momentary dips and surges its just the same as switching it off by pulling the plug, and I've done that about 50 times!

DaveP

5. Puz

Puz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I tried a 'fake' powercut by recording lots of stuff I didn't really want, and then pulling the power cord out when it was idle. And surprise surprise, when I plugged it back in, all the recordings were still there..

Just my luck that it didn't do that when there was stuff that I did want to watch :rolleyes:

The powercut that took all my recordings lasted for about 3 hours though, so maybe its a time issue instead.. hmmm