Sky aerial out combined with normal tv?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mr_P, May 18, 2003.

1. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If this is okay, I plan to run a cable from the aerial out on my sky digibox up to the wall to the loft. Then using a 3 way junction box, run a separate feed into each of the kids bedrooms so that they can watch the kiddies programmes upstairs.

They already have a normal terrestial feed in their rooms from this junction box. However could I combine the feed from the roof aerial with the feed from the sky box so that there is just one cable that will have the signals for their normal tv channels and also the channel from sky, I think I have that set at 42?

That way I can the existing sockets that are already in their rooms and just connect everything up in the loft. They can then watch BBC1 through to CH5 as normal and I would tune channel 6 into sky 42?

If so what do you call this device that combines 2 feeds into 1 without losing too much quality?

I know there is such a device fitted as I have 2 aerials on the roof, one for each of the 2 tv transmitters in the area and the tv bloke who installed it, fed the 2 feeds into 1 cable up on the roof. However I don't fancy climbing on my roof to find out!!!

Many thanks in advance?

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    You could buy a two into one joiner socket plug and connect Sky to one end, terrestrial to the other and with the 3rd plug (Y shape thingy, very cheap and in highstreet shops) insert that into the junction box. If the signal is weak - may well be for 3 tvs - you could then just get a booster and either connect it in your livingroom or in the loft.
    All vry possible. Changing channels would be another thing without a sender, still their legs are young!

3. Uncle_Bill

Uncle_Bill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have what is called a diplexer(joins two aerials together and filters out possible interference and allows you to tune into two different transmitters to receive more analogue terrestrial channels)

If you have an aerial feed into the main room where the sky box is located you could run another cable up to the loft from RF2 on the sky box, then connect it into your three way junction box and see what the pictures are like in the other rooms, ideally you would use an amplifier as this will enshure that the signal is kept up to a reasonable level as it may degrade if a long cable run is used.

there is no need to combine the aerial signal in the loft with the sky signal that has been fed from the box as the aerial signal from the main room will be fed into the loft via the box, (that is the reason there are two rf out connectors on the sky box)

There are a number of options to choose from, it is possible to send the aerial signal down the cable that has the dish feed for the satellite receiver, then splitting it in the room, this saves you the bother of running another cable but may cost more in time and sanity if you are not dhure how to fit the relevant combiner and splitter to your existing cable.

There is also available an amplifier specifically designed for sky receivers that allows the infra red signal to be passed through it from an extention room so the receiver to be controlled from another room.

It may be a good idea to get quotes for doing the job by an experienced installer.

Hope i have helped you out

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are not sure what you are doing, the eBook "Piping TV Around the House" might be worth a look.

My advice: Run a new double-shielded coax cable from the aerial into the Sky Digibox "Aerial In" socket. Run a similar coax cable from the Digibox "RF output 2" to the loft. Use an amplified splitter (T120 or T140) to distribute the signals to the bedrooms. That way it's as "future proofed" as it can be. You can add a "SkyLink" system that lets the Sky remote work in any room and the coax is suitable for "Freeview" when you get it.

5. simon123

simon123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i prosume the tv aerial on the roof is fed into the amp in loft and you have 3 downleads to lounge and bedrooms
    There is two ways to do this correctly the post above by Fernsehman
    or unplug the aerial from the amp and find out wich cable goes to your main lounge and plug the two together with a coax coupler

then run a cable from the RF2 socket on digi box to the input of amp, this will give you terrestrial and a sky signal in the 2 bedroms with no combiners,splitters,diplexers etc just your original amp and one extra cable.
    this will work as long as your aerial signal is strong and there is no loss on your downlead to main lounge

when i go to a customers house i would recommend the FMANS job if cost wasnt an issue

6. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks for all the advice.

I didn't realise that the RF out from the back of the sky digibox would combine the sky output channel along with the terrestrial channels from the RF In!!!

So yes the cable from the 2 aerials on the roof is fed into an amp, it needs to be as the reception is not brilliant. Then the cable down to the lounge is now fed into the RF IN on the sky digibox, RF OUT 1 is then connected to the video recorder, then through to the TV. This is in addition to the rgb cable between TV and digibox.

I then took a cable from RF OUT2 back up into the loft into another amp which then feeds the bedrooms. Tuned the tvs upstairs into the sky channel frequency and hey presto sky is now pipped throughout the house. And the reception is superb!!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

7. simon123

simon123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    your welcome