Sky+ advice from Sky Engineer

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by WarPig843, Dec 5, 2004.

1. WarPig843

WarPig843

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My digi box broke down the other day and so I arranged for a sky engineer to visit and repair for £65. I then decided to cancel the repair and upgrade to Sky+ instead for £149 with multiroom (£10/month).

In the confusion the repair engineer turned up anyway and, before leaving, advised me not to buy Sky+ from Sky as they would fit an Amstrad box. He said this was a crap box and that was why they were selling Sky+ for only £149.

He advised to buy the superior Pace Sky+ box from a shop, and get a local engineer to install. The box might be £200 and installation about £50. This way I could avoid paying the £10 per month for multiroom that I didnt want anyway. In 10 months I will have saved the extra £100 by not paying for multi room.

P.S. Sky said that they wouldnt be able to install Sky+ untill middle of Jan 2005. :eek:

Anyone else got Sky+ this way?

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well maybe Sky are dishing out all the Sky+ boxes to new subscribers... I phoned up on Thursday last week (may have been Wednesday actually) and I'm getting an install next weekend...

3. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I wanted a +160 box and they would not do a deal on it but tried to get me to take one of cheaper boxes. Also I withheld my number when I called and they kept asking for my home number for their records ...

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There's a guy on Ebay selling brand new Sky+ boxes for £149+VAT. Buy one, find a local aerial contractor to fit it for you. All you do then is to phone Sky to upgrade your subscription.

5. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    www.simplydigital.co.uk do Pace V.2's for £149, order today and you'll have it tomorrow. Remember to get a quad LNB if you need one !

Mike.

6. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Does anybody know exactly what the issue is with the Amstrad box? I kicked NTL into touch on Friday and Sky+ is getting installed this Wednesday.

7. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    mrtbag,

I kicked NTL into touch, got a SKY+ Amstrad box and had now problems at all. From what I can gather the boxes don't give out a great signal (I have mine connect via a high quality scart to a component convertor) and the box hangs. To be fair mine hung a couple of times but switching off the background music in the menus (it only hung on the menus) seemed to fix it. Maybe just using a very high quality scart will fix the PQ problems?

But believe me you'll be happy as larry - TV guide, menus, recording and it works!?!? which is more than NTL...!

8. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Thanks FaxFan. Can you confirm the model of the Amstrad box, or do you have a list of connections it has?

I can't wait to have a TV guide and Interactive content that works. NTL told me there's could not be fixed and I'd havbe to live with it. Yeah Right. I just stopped the Direct Debit, and unplugged the thing.

9. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    It's the standard SKY+ amstrad box, not sure of model number but I would expect you to get the same. It has a scart tv out, scart vcr out, s-video and optical out (DD5.1 movies!!). I have a high quality scart in the scart tv out, scart to component convertor and component into the AMP. Then the amp feeds the TV. If you didn't get the "banding" issue with the NTL box, I suspect you won't get it with the sky+ box.

But yes, tv guide and interactive content that works! The novelty still hasn't worn off.

10. ralphdt

ralphdt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought a pace v2 w/quad lnb £179 from simply digital last week and plugged it all together without a problem. then phoned sky and they had the new box activated and sky+ enabled within 10mins.

11. PeterJay

PeterJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought a PAce V2 to replace my V1 (so the HD upgrade works reliably) a few weeks ago, and 2 Thomson DHD4000s from them today (one for me, one for my brother)

They seem like a decent bunch (I went into the shop rather than over the web, as its only about 10 minutes from work) and they were clued up when the Sky box showed a problem with its HD, a tuner appeared to not be working the engineer reset the box for me which fixed the problem right away (odd, but a common problem apparently). I'd be happy to buy from them again

Peter