1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky adverts in DD??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Nobber22, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Last night I switched over to Sky Movies 1 just before 8pm to watch Femme Fatale. There were about 4 adverts which were on just before the film started (Honda diesel advert, possibly the silly Tesco wonky trolley ad and I think a couple more?) and I noticed something odd:

Usually I have Sky+ connected digitally via optical to my AV amp and when adverts are on, the amp always outputs them in PLII. This means they are bloody loud and I have to reach for the remote to turn 'em down temporarily.
    But last night, the few ads before the film were really quiet. So I glanced at the amp and noticed that the Dolby Digital message was showing on the amp! So I turned the amp up to a more listenable level (I like the Honda advert :blush: ) and saw it went all the way up to the volume level I play DD5.1 films through Sky+. :confused:

So is Sky now transmitting adverts as digital? Are they DD2.0? I couldn't hear anything from the centre/rears during the ads, but these obviously aren't a good media for system testing. Am I only now just waking up to the change and everyone else has seen it already?

If this is new, are studios perhaps making DD copies of their ads? God forbid, are we soon going to get Ocean Finance or wonky Tesco trollies selling crap to us in DD5.1? :eek: