Sky+ Active Logo's

R

rsrich2

:lease: Hi guys ,well who else has a plasma tv that are getting really annoyed at the amount of sky logo's that appear in the corners of a lot of channels ?
i have just spoken to sky and complained that the logo's where leaving a ghost effect on my brand new pioneer plasma ,well geuss what they said sorry but could not do anything about this problem well the kids in my house dont allways push backup to rid these nasty symbals anyone else fed up with these phone sky and lets all pull together to get rid of them
RICH

Plasma are more susceptable to screen burn compared to other display technologies but the broadcasters point the finger at the manufacturers and there is only so much you can do to protect a plasma display. However SKY are only to blame for their own logos, the BBC, ITV, CH4/E4, Hallmark, Scifi etc etc all choose to use the damn things.
Same goes for the interactive logos I am afraid but at least they can be removed on a semi-permenant basis or totally when using SKY+.

You'll find something of interest over at the Logofreetv website.

I appluad the efforts of these dedicated people but once the BBC slapped logos onto their digital channels any chance of getting commercial broadcasters to follow suit is pretty slim.
However I have huge respect for the person responsible for ditching the CH5 logo when they rebranded as Five, gave the channel a much more mature and professional look.

On most of the channels (although this seems to change on a daily basis) the logos disappear while the adverts are on so at least the screen gets a bit of a rest every 15 minutes or so although at least one of the kids channels (Boomerang) keeps the logo on constantly and this is the channel my 5 year old watches the most of althouth I've only ever suffered from image retention rather than permanent burn.

Does your plasma have a zoom facility that would enable you to push the logos off the screen - not much use for 'proper' viewing but the kids probably wouldn't notice.

HTH

John

rsrich2 said:
:lease: Hi guys ,well who else has a plasma tv that are getting really annoyed at the amount of sky logo's that appear in the corners of a lot of channels ?
i have just spoken to sky and complained that the logo's where leaving a ghost effect on my brand new pioneer plasma ,well geuss what they said sorry but could not do anything about this problem well the kids in my house dont allways push backup to rid these nasty symbals anyone else fed up with these phone sky and lets all pull together to get rid of them
RICH

I'm with you all the way on this.

I also notice the ghost effect sometimes - surely Sky know the problems they are causing and should be able to be held accountable for any damage caused.

Any lawyers reading this post who could make any suggestions? :lease:

Cheers,

Martin.

Whilst I'd much rather not have the logos, I'll play devil's advocate here:

Even assuming you could sue Sky (or other broadcasters) for this (and I doubt you could) I would guess that there would be at least two immediate defences that the broadcasters would use:

1. Plasma screen manuals usually have, somewhere, a note about the dangers of static images.
2. You chose to buy a plasma to watch TV on.

John

Worse potentially than the logos are the banners at the top of the screen that show the score during footy matches which are a problem on those channels that don't have logos like BBC1 as these are displayed for at least 45 minutes without disappearing.

Having said all that, I tend not to worry too much about it - in almost two years of plasma ownership, I've had no permanent screen burn despite all the viewing being done via Sky.

John

johndon said:
Worse potentially than the logos are the banners at the top of the screen that show the score during footy matches which are a problem on those channels that don't have logos like BBC1 as these are displayed for at least 45 minutes without disappearing.

Having said all that, I tend not to worry too much about it - in almost two years of plasma ownership, I've had no permanent screen burn despite all the viewing being done via Sky.

John

You are of course right - but it's good to hear that you have had no real problem after two years.

Cheers,

Martin.

at least they can be removed on a semi-permenant basis or totally when using SKY+.

prey tell me the solution ?? i.e. how ?

Wouldn't it solve it if they could be persuaded to use darker or semi-transparent logos?
Isn't it the brightness of the logo that causes burn?

nightsoil said:

Full sentence...

"Same goes for the interactive logos I am afraid but at least they can be removed on a semi-permenant basis or totally when using SKY+."

I wasn't referring to channel idents (DOGS) which are hard encoded into the actual broadcast:)

In the case of the "red dots" the emi permenant solution is the backup button, not as effective as it used to be but still an option. The interactive "red dots" are not part of the data stream that SKY+ records so when played back they are not there.
This is ideal for someone like me who records everything I want except "live" sporting events but even then you can always use Live Pause to obtain the same result.

nightsoil said:

With Sky+, press pause, wait a second or so, and then press play again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom