Sky accelerates new set-top box launch

Nothing to apologise for!

Thanks for posting an interesting article.

BT Sport's coverage of The Premier League is poor compared to Sky's. However if they're accelerating the roll out of UHD, at least they're doing some good.

Before they launch a new box there will need to be content available for it and that appears some way ahead as broadcasters in Europe appear to be waiting for agreement on the broadcast standards for phase 2 - see this report (including statement from Sky's chief engineer) Euro broadcast industry still in a fug over that 4K-ing UHD telly • The Register this along with Jeremy Darroch denying the rumours in the quarterly report.

Thanks for posting an interesting article.

BT Sport's coverage of The Premier League is poor compared to Sky's. However if they're accelerating the roll out of UHD, at least they're doing some good.

I'd agree it's poor in regards to the number of games, but the picture quality is noticeably better on BT Sport HD.

Do share with us what you know... :D
I used to work at Broadcom and bumped into a couple of guys a few weeks ago.
There was a competitor for the chip win but they relied on software video decoding for HEVC which ran out of steam in tests.

About to buy a couple of 4K TVs for a new house project and have just signed up for Sky HD multi-room.

I wonder how soon this new box will arrive and wonder whether I should consider cancelling my order and waiting.....generally if you have had a box on a deal you don't get a second chance for subsidised box.

This all sounds hypothetical.
You'll have a very long wait.

Agreed, even when it launches I doubt there will be much 4K content.

I disagree. I think there will tons of content and there is every chance we will have the service rolled out in late August. There will be enough movies for a full time 4K movie channel and a Sky Atlantic type channel. National Geographic or Discovery will probably have its fair share of docos too. Also no reason why you won't get 1 or 2 Premier League matches each in week in 4k.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom