1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky abroad is the new software a crackdown?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by kid rock, Apr 1, 2004.

1. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have had sky here in Germany now without fault for the past 2 years. I still have a house in the UK and I pay through my uk bank account. The new software however seems to me to be part of a crackdown on users abroad. my digibox is non contract but I am now getting constant messages for me to plug it into the phoneline to get the full range of interactive services.Am I right to believe that this is part of skys plans for more interactive services which I couldnt access? i also note that sky is no longer accepting foreign credit cards for payment. Is it the beginning of the end for sky users abroad?

Kid Rock

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The OS update that informs the user of a lack of phone connection should only appear after the digibox has been rebooted. It should appear once then not appear again until another reboot or when you attempt to use a facility that requires a missing phone connection.

As for the credit cards, SKY are not allowed in anyway to promote/sell their service outside the UK and ROI, by allowing foreign credit cards they are openly admitting taking accounts from outside their contractual broadcast areas. Content providers who sell programming to SKY for UK and ROI broadcasting only might have made a few noises about SKY's promotion by third party suppliers in Europe and this is one step that SKY can take that does not directly cause them any real harm and satisfys the distributers.

3. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    starburst thanks for the reply. I have now solved the message problem it seems that the mains cable was a bit loose at the back and the box kept on powering on and off hence the repeated messages. I am not afected by the credit card clampdown but a friend is and has had his sky card turned off albeit he still has itv and the bbc. Do you know whether Sky proposes to have an interactive card for the interactive card slot on the digibox and what if any effect this will have on us brits abroad who need to watch decent sport?

All the best

Kid Rock

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well the plan all along was to have a Mondex type card for allowing micro payments for goods/services bought via SKY using the interactive services.
    There is still talk that the second card slot could still be used for some sort of payment system since interactive useage and revenues are quite healthy and people have proved that they will pay for anything if marketed right (mobile ringtones/goal flashes etc).

I would be very surprised if SKY used anything other than a straight forward bank/credit card billing system for it's subscription packages as the digibox is just not reliable enough and user friendly a system as they would hope for.
    I wouldn't worry about the second card slot, it might get used but only for additional services which the vast majority of SKY subscribers will probably never use/need anyway:)

5. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The mondex card slot has been activated for the first time on Sky digital by this last software update apparently.