Sky + A Few Questions!!!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by teddstarr, Jul 2, 2003.

1. teddstarr

teddstarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have found myself in a position where i can buy a SKY+ box For a greatly reduced price and there are several questions i need answering.The only reason i am interested inSKY+ is to receive DOLBY5.1 via the digital output.I have no need to record onto the HD,nor do i wish to pay the subscription charges this would encur,so my questions are;

1;is it possible to hook up a SKY+ box using my existing dish and SINGLE LNB,bearing in mind i do not wish to utilise the twin tuner for recording(i have been told that the SKY+ box will only function when wired to a QUAD LNB????)

2;As all veiwing cards are "locked" to there own digibox,how do i go about transfering my current card over to the new SKY+ without SKY asking awkward questions(or does SKY+ have its own veiwing card)

your speedy answers would be greatfully received,

many thanks,

teddstarr

:confused: :confused: :clap: :laugh: :nono:

2. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    teddstarr

I currently use the sky+ box in exactly the same way as you intend to use yours, with just LNB 1 input used.

I have no sky+ subscription so did not need the recording option

Like yourself, having purchased a + box independently, I called SKY technical services (08702 43 5000 ) and asked them to link my REGULAR SKY CARD from an old grundig box to the sky+ box (I did not tell them for simplicity, it was a sky + box).

They needed, I think the serial no for the Viewing card and the Sky + box and about 10 mins later, I was in business.:)

Hope this helps

Del:smoke:

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, I just got a second-hand Pace 3100 Sky+ and hooked it straight into my existing single LNB system. Put my card in and attatched the dish cable to input 1 on the back. Had to phone Sky where they asked me to go into the Services menu and read them some numbers and within a minute it was working fine.

One tip, if you are handy with a screwdriver and you never intend to use it as a PVR, why not remove or disconnect the hard drive inside? I did this as it just sits there spinning 24/7 and gets very hot, in turn making the noisy fan kick in occasionally (all the time on mine). I just pulled the lid off and removed the drive, 5 minute job. Also, it stopped the silly lights on the front from spinning around all the time.

Looking forward to getting my 5.1 system set up again now so I can enjoy it!

4. teddstarr

teddstarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers lads, but can you just confirm these answers comply to the NEW SKY+ box as well as the old(i will be getting the new model)

many thanks,

Teddstarr:smashin: :smashin: :clap:

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the new one Tedd, the 3100 is the silver/white one. I think the one with the black face panel was the 3000. So, yes, it will work with the 3100.

I think I said before, I have not tried 5.1 yet due to temporary lack of amp but as a standard box it works a treat.

6. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :smashin:I'm currently using the old one with digital out for sound, svideo for picture:smashin:

Del:smoke:

7. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    don't suppose u know of any more boxes going cheap??

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine off Ebay but it's a bit of a lottery. I always make sure the guy I am buying off has very good feedback and I've always been OK. I paid £175 inc P+P for mine and got a fair bit more than that for my Sony box. I also now have a free 40Gb Hard drive.

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I really like the sound of using a Sky+ box in place of my ordinary one for DD5.1 and not recording. However I currently use the lovely Panasonic digibox which is super-fast at menu switching and I wonder if the new 3100 Pace Sky + box is as fast?
    The older Pace (regular Sky) digiboxes some of my mates have are too slow for me. :(

Anybody moved from Panasonic digibox to Pace 3000/3100 Sky +? Do Panasonic or anyone else make Sky + boxes?

10. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :hiya: :hiya:

11. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probabley been said a million times before but.........

Sky + is the only current box capable of supplying dolby digital audio from the optical output attached.

Sorry

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The difference in menu speeds between the older PACE digiboxes and SKY+ is huge, my PACE 2200 is like wading through treacle compared to my SKY+:)
    I've never used a Pana digibox but I would assume that SKY+ is at worse no slower when using the EPG.
    Amstrad will be releasing a SKY+ unit, exact time and specifications are unknown as of yet (Unless you work for them of course).

13. Boxster

Boxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my new type Sky+ box has a marginally slower EPG/channel response than my Panasonic B31 box, the kids noticed the difference.

14. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    Nope, the Sony VTX-S760 U is a "non+" box that had Dolby Digital out.

15. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If I'm not mistaken the Sony does indeed have optical out but you cannot get 5.1 from it, all you can get is dolby prologic and the SKY+ box is the only digibox capable of producing 5.1