Sky 5.1 via optical cable? Amstrad 500gb box with onkyo tx-sr608

Maniac618

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to make sure my optical cable from sky box to receiver is set up correctly.

It's plugged in, can anyone tell me what setting I need to have for the sky box?

Can anyone help me with the onkyo menu setup too? I have selected optical 2 as the digital audio select as that's where it's plugged in. On the display on the receiver it says HDMI PCM and then listening mode which is Dolby PLII Movie (whilst tuned into F1 preview on channel 408).

Hi.
Sky Settings> Sound> Digital Audio> Dolby.
Onkyo Display button produces "Dolby 2.0" currently on F1 HD channel, "Dolby 5.1" on some HD film channels.
Onkyo Listening Mode buttons give you a selection of them to choose from.
If Sky also goes through Onkyo by HDMI for video, set Onkyo to give precedence to optical audio.
HTH - Logi

On that last bit, how do I give it presidence? Thanks.

On the Onkyo 607 you stay on the audio menu for one more step - after matching OPT2 with one of the Inputs you press Enter which produces a * against the entry and confirms that optical audio has precedence over the audio from any HDMI that's assigned to that same Input. Other models do it in different ways, explained in the Manual.

Please see attached images. Those are the only settings I think I have on the onkyo and it's what they're set at.

Can't determine if they are correct :(

Attachments

• image-3010769403.jpg
    image-3010769403.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 382
  • image-4275325200.jpg
    image-4275325200.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 322
No, the audio setting is incorrect. On the Audio screen it says the input is HDMI whereas it should be Opt2. Can you not cursor right on that screen and change it?

That's not the Settings page, and the 608 doesn't have the option in Digital Audio Input at page 40: 608 Manual.
You will just have to see what happens when you make the connections and settings.

Last edited:
The bottom left of page 51 gives you an option............

An option to do something different, surely?:confused:
Onky needs to be told which audio input to process, not which to pass through.

Stevenage Neil said:
The bottom left of page 51 gives you an option............

Does it? Doesn't look like it :(

So no-one knows? There's so priority for audio feed I can find as asked in any menu.

Should have pointed you there in the first place!
I thought the 608 was supposed to be the next up from my 607, but that's definitely a downer.

logiciel said:
Should have pointed you there in the first place!
I thought the 608 was supposed to be the next up from my 607, but that's definitely a downer.

Np thanks for the help. It's not the best place to put the setting in the menus. I'm just glad it can actually do it to be honest, relieved! :)

Yes, it had to do it, one way or another.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom