• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Sky+ 5.1 Sound

jonruss5

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a Samsung TV (UE45C7000), and Samsung Home theatre (HT-C930W).

I can get 5.1 sound when playing BD/DVDs, the only issue is when it comes to Sky+...

I currently have the TV connected via HDMI and SPDIF to the home theatre, and the Sky+ box connected to the home theatre via HDMI. Although I am not getting 5.1 sound from Sky, only stereo.

I have also tried connecting the Sky box directly to the home theatre via HDMI and SPDIF, but still only 2 -channels.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Jon

BigCam

Hi :hiya:
Welcome to the Forums
Do you have the option to switch to Dolby Prologic 11
This will give you 5 channel surround for the Sky box
BigCam

jonruss5

Standard Member
Hey,

Great, that worked - I guess I just assumed it would be surround sound by default, but it was just stereo by default.

I've set it to Dolby II Matrix. All the speakers appear to be "playing something", and I'm watching "DD" channels on Sky, so I'm assuming that the 5.1 is being scaled up to 7.1?

Many thanks
Jon

kenjude

Novice Member
Connect a co-ax or optical cable from the Sky box to to your home theatre (assuming it has an input) to get true 5.1 from the channels that output it. There's no 5.1 from HDMI out of the Sky boxes.

BigCam

Hi :hiya:
If its a Sky HD box you should get Dolby Digital through the Optical connection when watching an HD Movie channel.
The Prologic II setting is for other channels that output stereo only.
BigCam

jonruss5

Standard Member
It's a Sky+HD box (SYSF26).

Ok, I now have the box plugged into my HT via HDMI and optical cables with Dolby II Matrix selected.

However, I get sound from all speakers, but when I unplug the optical cable there is no effect to the sound that I receive from the speakers - so I'm not sure if this is right?

Many thanks
Jon

Broadz

You've already been told that Dolby II Matrix isn't Dolby Digital - so why have you persisted in using it? If you want DD5.1 you need to use optical out, you need to be watching a channel which is broadcasting in DD5.1, you need your Sky box to send its digital audio out as Dolby D not stereo, and you need your amp to not do any stupid conversion of stereo in to five channel out.

And for safety's sake you need your HDMI cable running between Sky box and TV - not via home cinema. As you obviously are still using HDMI for transmitting audio as well as picture - which is why your amp still produces audio even when the optical cable is disconnected. Remove HDMI from the equation - it can't carry surround sound - by using it to send a HD picture and stereo sound to your TV. And use optical (and optical alone) for carrying audio from Sky to home cinema.

Last edited:

jonruss5

Standard Member
Ok, I have HDMI connected from the Sky box to TV, and optical cable from the Sky box to HT, with my HDMI TV out into the HT.

However, I'm still not getting any sound from any speakers when watching Sky. The Sky audio settings are set to DD.

I have the HT set to D.In, which I assume is input for the optical cable.

Is there something I'm missing!?

Broadz

Do you need to configure optical in (i.e. set it to Auto so it will correctly switch between Dolby Digital and PCM stereo depending what channel you are watching on the Sky box)?

jonruss5

Standard Member
I'm pretty sure the cable works, as when I plug it from the TV to the HT I get sound (not sure what kind, but I'm guessing stereo) as it's from the Sky box via HDMI, to TV, to HT - and the sound goes off when I unplug the cable.

I have googled Sky+HD box optical-out issues and have come across the following: Sky Help Forum - SkyHD Optical output does not work with all amps - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum Someone else with a Samsung HT.

Now I'm starting to think the optical out of the Sky box is at fault???

Broadz

Now I'm starting to think the optical out of the Sky box is at fault???
It's possible - check that the end which would connect to the home theatre is glowing red. If not - the optical out on the Sky box isn't working (or the cable is damaged). The digital coaxial out on the Sky box also delivers a Dolby Digital signal, so if your home theatre supports this as an input, or if you can lay your hands on a coaxial to optical converter, you could use this as a means of getting DD5.1 from Sky HD to home theatre also.

jonruss5

Standard Member
There is a red light coming from the out end of the cable, so unless something is just faulty...the cable must be ok as it plays sound from the TV optical out to the HT.

I'll call Sky later tonight.

jonruss5

Standard Member
Well it's not working. Perhaps it's incompatible with Samsung, although I'm guessing that there are standards for this.

Sky engineer is coming on Monday to take a look.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom