Sky + 5.1 DD Sound , or maybe NOT ! ! !

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Montana, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Last night I had to (yet again) ring Sky+ about the lack of sound on Sky Movies 1,2 , and 3.This is not the first time I had rung them concerning this matter.I had set up the Sky+ box to output 5.1 DD ( as of course you would to make the listening pleasure as good as possible when it is broadcast in that format(which at the moment is only Sky Movies 1,2,3 , and the Disney channel)).
    When eventually I spoke to someone of some authority they said they were STILL having problems with broadcasting 5.1 DD.My problems seem to be more or less the same as others have reported, these are, One - no sound throughout the entire film , the returned when the broadcast was in Dolby Surround, Two - the sound comes on and off intermittantly throughout the broadcast, Three - very poor sound quality, but at least it was there for the whole broadcast.
    I first reported this problem(and by what I was told I was one of the first to report this) back on the 14th July this year, and they said it would be fixed soon, about a month later, I had the same problem, and then they said it must be the receiver so I had another Sky+ box installed. After this the problem hadn't been noticed much as my wife is working nights and I have a new job.So last night we sat down to watch John Q (great film by the way) and said problem came up again.
    The upshot of this is I now have to set our Sky+ box to normal instead of 5.1DD and we get sound all the time(which we hadn't been told up until this point).
    As you can see it has been over five months and the problem has not been rectified, and I was wondering what all you guys and gals thought. Do you think I have a case to carry this further with one of the reasons for upgrading was for 5.1DD on the movie channels.The amount of time it has been going on, and (according to the person last night) are no further foward to resolving the problem.Has anyone else had the same problems as I have ?
    So any and all comments would be more than welcome.

Andy

2. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Have tried various paths but with no success so far. Most routes that I have tried suggested it was not there area (ie ITC) but to report it to Trading Standards. Watchdog is another one to try as there is certainly a move on digital spy to get as many of the DD problems reported to Watchdog.

3. geordie

geordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, I have recently had sky+ installed and am finding the same problem. One night DD 5.1 works, the next it doesn't. But I discovered last night that if you record a movie when the box is set to Dolby 5.1, you can still choose to play it in DD5.1 or stereo afterwards depending on whether the DD 5.1 was working, just try it. If it is silent just change the setting in setup to stereo. It only takes a minute. So at least you still have stereo recordings on days that surround sound wasn't working. Not that this excuses Sky as they are advertising the product on the basis of 5.1 being one of its attractions. Also the manual says it can record two channels while you watch a third, which it cannot (yet), although that at least is not a feature of their advertising campaign. As the stereo sound is so good I can live without DD 5.1 for a while.

4. goldstn

goldstn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same run in with Sky on this issue. I got a £10 credit on my bill for "inconvenience caused".
    They have no idea how to fix the problem at the moment and continue to give out the "fixed next month" message.

5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    Same here ... but I just ring them each month and complain and get a tenner off ... i guess if enough people do it each month they might start to take more notice ...

Wonder how us early adopters stand viz sky+ boxes and repairs/warrenty if the optical output isn't up to spec ... both my boxes are >12 months old but they didn't start broadcasting in 5.1 until July so how were we to know that it didn't work ... any legal opinions out there ?

Jon

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY were broadcasting DD on the original widescreen movie channel in 2001 that's why I don't think it has much to do with the STB's since every thing was working as it should. My hardware hasn't changed but two things certainly have this year due to the replacing of the broadcast gear to enable w/s content and the addition of more DD output plus a new SKY+ STB.
    I would be very interested to see exactly when the DD problems were first reported after the June expansion of w/s and DD audio.

7. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I too have had this probelm. pain in the ar*e. I think I'll see if I can get a tenner off too. Ruined 'From Hell' mind you wasn't that good a film anyway.

8. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    We recorded John Q last Saturday night and watched it Sunday. It played all the way through in 5.1 with no hitches at all. :smashin:

The only thing I've found is that if you pause then play, occasionally it will carry on but with no sound for about 20 or so seconds.

Must be lucky, have watched a few 5.1 films and none have suffered from sound drop-outs - yet - keep fingers crossed !!!

9. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I find if I reset the box by removing the power it usually restores the sound.

10. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The major thing with this problem that Sky+ have at the moment is that it's not consistant.It doesn't happen to all the people at any time.
    For example,I could lose sound and my next door neighbour could have 5.1DD, then I would have sound and he wouldn't then we both could get 5.1DD.It's not even consistant with the type of box you have either, that's why Sky+ are having so many difficulties.
    What really gripes me at the moment is the fact they are still advertising Sky+ on the radio a LOT, and saying it's in full 5.1DD, when clearly it isn't, and hasn't been for me(consistantly anyway) for over 5 months.Surely this must be somewhere along the line against trading standards, as it's not doing what it's advertised to do.
    Brogan, it doesn't matter how many times I reset the box either the proble is still there, as Sky+ have admitted, it's a transmission problem.

Andy

11. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The biggest problem I've had was no centre channel broadcast on the premier of Blackhawk Down...I've only had minor problems before that. Mainly lip sync on the old premier WS channel. I've never lost my sound completly.
    At times, the Sky+ box has even sent my old amp into EX mode...The premiers of Harry Potter and LOTR:FOTR both did it...but only the once.

12. demo

demo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who did you guys speak to to get the £10 discount ? I complained several times, asking for a discount for the bad service, and was flatly refused each time. I have now unsubbed from Movies until they fix the problem.

13. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same here - I asked for compensation and they said that no-one has received a penny in compensation - I actually said that some of my friends had received £10 refunds on their subscription. I made sure I was transferred to a manager before even asking.

They said that they have a partial fix, but until they have solved the whole problem they are not going to send out any fix - and guess what, still no ETA!

14. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    OK this is going back about 18 months, but when I phoned them I just told them that my picture kept breaking up and it had been for the last so many days. As the problem was down to my system I booked a sevice call out. I also told them that I did not feel it was fair for me to pay my subscription to unwatchable programs, so they deducted a portion of my Sky Bill.
    If this problem is a common problem in your area then they should reimburst you money if it is your Sky system at fault then it looks like you may have to pay for a service call out unless of course it is still under warranty.:(

15. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You can record two channels at the same time and watch a "recording" that you had made earlier not a third channel.