Sky 3 and UK History poor signals

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Franco50, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I am experiencing very poor signal strength on Sky 3 and UKTV History (there may be a couple more channels below par as well but these are the most noticeable). They are really so bad that they are unwatchable, Sky 3 in particular. I never used to have this problem as the History channel was one I regularly watched. I live in a good reception area only about 20 miles from the Black Hill transmitter and all other channels show a strong signal, I have carried out a completey new installation scan to no avail. Anyone know why these two should be so badly affected? :(

2. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
  3. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Wolfbane is overly pessimistic in my experience.

4. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    The OP does not say what type of aerial is being used and Wolfbane (often quoted and used by yourself) is really the most comprehensive guide there is.

I'll agree it can be overly pessimistic - it recommends "Amplified extra hi-gain" for my postcode and I do not know of anyone who has had to do this.

The OP also says "...very poor signal strength on Sky 3 and UKTV History (there may be a couple more channels below par as well but these are the most noticeable)....", so, on the face of it and the info given, it looks like signal strength

5. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks guys. I take your points about the aerial but I have received these channels in the past perfectly well with the same aerial and Freeview box so why have they deteriorated all of a sudden?
    Unfortunately I can't try the Wolfbane site just now as I'm at work and our firewall blocks EXE files but will give it a go when I get home. I was probably wrong with my distances initially as I am actually less than 20 miles from Black Hill. I have a high gain aerial (non amplified) in the loft which I've had for the past four years and never had reception problems prior to this. I must stress that the channels I mentioned are the worst - as I said Sky3 is completely unwatchable, UKTV History is little better and Sky Sports News is quite bad as well BUT all others are perfect which, to me, would suggest that the aerial is not the problem here.

6. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Is it possible for you to try another receiver or try your receiver on a different aerial?
    The results may point you in the right direction to solving this annoying problem.

What's the first part of your postcode and I'll post the result - but knowing Wolfbane you can probably guess the answer

7. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for that - first part of my postcode is EH55 :smashin:

8. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Sorry I'm late in replying.
    Anyway Wolfbane says that you are 12 miles from Black Hill and that the aerial required is "Standard"
    which, of course, doesn't take into account any local obstructions although at a height of 10M there shouldn't be many

9. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    If they were ok and they aren't now, something must have changed (the aerial's moved, the cable's been damaged, you've moved a metal object near the aerial, a building's been erected in the signal path, a tree has grown or is in leaf, etc, or there is a new source of interference).

All channels in a given multiplex will be affected equally. Sky 3 and UKTV History are in multiplex C. Sky 3, Sky News, Sky Sports News and E4+1 are also in this mux, so you should find they are affected too.

That's for an outdoor aerial at 10m (i.e. above the chimney in a typical two storey house). The signal strength in the loft will be lower because of a combination of height loss and building loss.

Wolfbane predicts the field strength and suggests an aerial type accordingly. The actual field strength can be higher or lower than the prediction. In any case the field strength can vary quite significantly within a short distance due to the local terrain and other obstructions.

10. Franco50

Franco50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    maldonian, thanks for the input. I've gone through the channels and can confirm pretty much what you said about multiplex C - UKTV History, Sky 3, E4+1, Sky News and Sky Sports News are all affected.
    To give you more info about my aerial position - it is in the loft of a bungalow so will be well short of the 10m height benchmark - probably around half that. Having said that, until very recently reception of all the channels ranged from acceptable to excellent so quite what has happened to the mux C ones I don't know. Long term I suppose getting an outdoor aerial is the next step although I might try a signal booster in the short term as I may be moving house before the end of the year. :rolleyes: