• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky 2TB HD Box Service Menu RF Outlet Power Supply Off/On?

topdogwoof

Novice Member
I had a standard SD system with a booster system(powered by plug) installed many years ago.

I did not know about writing down my RF channel number for the old box system.

The HD system has been installed and I have purchased a triax iolink and set it up correctly(I think). It was on RF channel number 68, I have started to change to 21,22 etc but its still not working?

I am getting no picture on analogue(on TV downstairs which is fed straight from one of the outs on the iolink) and TV upstairs which is fed from the booster system(via the other out on the iolink)?

How do I find out which the correct RF number please?

The RF outlet power supply is set to OFF at the moment in the sky service menu, is this correct or should it be set to ON please?

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
...I have started to change to 21,22 etc but its still not working?

I am getting no picture on analogue(on TV downstairs which is fed straight from one of the outs on the iolink) and TV upstairs which is fed from the booster system(via the other out on the iolink)?

How do I find out which the correct RF number please?

Don't tune the Sky box - leave it as is and simply re-tune your TV's.

topdogwoof

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply Neil, do I leave the RF outlet power supply set to OFF or do I need to change it to ON in the sky hidden menu?

For info if this makes any different I am not going to use any of them link magic eyes.

Last edited:

logiciel

The channel should be 68 and the power does not matter as you're not using a magic eye for control.

topdogwoof

Novice Member
Channel is 68 and RF outlet power supply set to OFF - via sky hidden menu.

Hmmm not sure why its not working, I select analogue on TV downstairs and let it scan thought the whole 21 to 69 on the TV and still just get a grainy picture, no sign of sky.

Not sure if this helps diagnose the problem:-

1. I can not even get freeview digital channels to work via the TV direct tuner either, when its plugged in via the iolink. The only way it works is if I switch the sky box off at the mains, switch the sky box back on, I then get freeview pictures for about one minute, then the picture goes blank and I get a lost of picture message on the panosonic TV?

2. I can get freeview digital channels via the TV direct tuner to work by just connecting the RF in cable from the main aerial direct to the TV.

But once I connect this RF in cable from the main aerial to the RF in on the iolink - nothing works on the analogue/sky side. Only sky works via the new box.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
But once I connect this RF in cable from the main aerial to the RF in on the iolink - nothing works on the analogue/sky side. Only sky works via the new box.

Which suggests that Ch68 is used by Freeview. You will have to change the RF channel on the Sky box, not forgetting to re-tune the TV every time, until you find a clear channel.

logiciel

It does look like that - can't think why but it does.
Try 65.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
It does look like that - can't think why but it does.
Try 65.

If the Freeview multiplexes are around Ch68 then I would suggest starting from 21 upwards - remembering to re--tune the TV for each change..........

logiciel

I thought all transmitters used the 20's and none the 65+'s but bow to your better knowledge!

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
I thought all transmitters used the 20's and none the 65+'s but bow to your better knowledge!
No they vary throughout the UK - e.g our local Oxford transmitter uses channels 50 to 60 and a transmitter south of us uses channels in the 20's. This variation avoids interference between adjacent transmitter regions.

The higher the channel number the better the quality of reception on your coax - Sky chose 68 for this reason. So set your RF output channel on the Sky box as high as possible - if 68 is used by Freeview then try channels from 47 upwards.

logiciel

But do any Freeview use channels 65 and up?

topdogwoof

Novice Member
O well I tried changing to a few different RF channels in sky and retuning the telly no joy.

So decided to put it back to 68, selected the RF outlet power supply set to ON - via sky hidden menu, and boom everything works a treat now, get HD, freeview and sky via iolink.

So I guess even if you do not use magic eyes you still need to switch the power supply to on.

Thanks to all for help and advice.

MartinPickering

AFAIK No channel above CH60 is in use for Freeview.
For the record, this is correct.
As discussed in my blog, last year, the UK government sold off the top UHF channels for 4G mobile phone use. There's a tiny risk of 4G interference at certain locations but, unless you have received a letter warning you of this, it won't apply to you. So you can use channels 61 to 68, for piping TV around the house, with impunity.

I believe that the Triax IO-Link needs power from the Digibox, so setting power to ON in the secret "Installer Setup Menu" (RF Outlets) was probably the answer.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom