sky - 2 years free broadband

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
has anyone else tried to claim this offer yet?

from what i can tell, if you opt in to receive the new channel sky sports 5 (which is free) you can claim broadband for free for 2 years?

last time i tried to claim something for "free" from sky i was told i couldn't because i was on the highest package possible and the offer was only for people upgrading to sports/movies etc.

neuty

Distinguished Member
But Sky broadband speed is rubbish.

I was with O2 getting 12 to 14mb speed. Sky bought O2 broadband and phone so I was transferred over.

I was then getting 4 to 6 mb, and they could do anything about it. I have left now and with EE. Bar the traffic management they run its pretty good.

Carl.

Doug the D

I was with O2 getting 12 to 14mb speed. Sky bought O2 broadband and phone so I was transferred over.

I was then getting 4 to 6 mb, and they could do anything about it. I have left now and with EE. Bar the traffic management they run its pretty good.

Carl.
Broadband speeds are a bit like the weather imo. It varies hugely around the country.

It may be 4 - 6 mpbs where you live, but when I was on Sky's broadband (copper), I was getting a steady 14mpbs. I recently upgraded to fibre from Sky, and get 38-40 mbps.

Plus, if you only needed 4 - 6 mbps, and you did want their new channel, then you'd be daft not to take 2 years free broadband!

John

They are getting you to sign a contract for 2 years, but iirc, they lose Champions League Coverage after the first year.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
If you only browse and check emails it's great. But if you stream videos play games, multiple Windows open at the same time think m25, 4pm Friday, nuclear bomb.

GeeZus

The offer for 2 years broadband is available to both new and existing customers
New customers are tied in to a 12 month contract for the phone and broadband
Existing customers would have to sign up for 18 months
Both new and existing customers also need to keep sports for the duration of the offer period or else it will reverse to standard pricing.
The ADSL broadband is free and Fibre is half price

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
i can take fibre optic at half price?
as far as i am aware fibre is about £30, so half price would be what i am paying now for sky broadband. might choose that option. will ring and ask.

i had my concerns when we moved about sky internet as they said i would get upto 9 or 10mbps max, where as in my old flat we got 14mbps minimum. but since we have been here it has been fine actually. seems fast enough, games play ok on xbox etc. can't complain too much.

Lee

They are getting you to sign a contract for 2 years, ...
I read that and guess they are losing a lot of customers especially with BT having football.

You currently have the full package which gives you all the sports including the European football but now you have to tell them you want the new channel and get tied in for two years? I don't think so!

booyaka

They are getting you to sign a contract for 2 years, but iirc, they lose Champions League Coverage after the first year.
this - be careful.

I won't pay anymore money for another channel just to watch champions league ( BT sport after next year) - so tieing in for 2 years is a bit of a con.

Saying that - the actual broadband (ADSL) has been excellent, rock solid with zero downtime for probably 8 years now for me at 2 different addresses.

GeeZus

Adding sky sports 5 doesn't tie you in to a contract. That's available free with the sports package and just needs activation. Taking up the free broadband offer is what times you in to a contract for a max 18 months

nheather

Distinguished Member

Carl.
Copper based broadband speed is largely dependent on the distance from the exchange and the state of the wire between there and your home. This wire is supplied and maintained by BT (Openreach).

Whoever, supplies your copper based internet will use this same run of wire.

There is a little bit that can be done back at the exchange, so if the provider has their own equipment at the exchange they may be able to tweak sone better performance.

I would say that copper speed is down to 90% line 10% exchange.

I went from Nildram (who were widely regarded as one of the best providers in their day) to Sky using BT equipment to Sky using their own equipment. In all three cases, the speed I got was pretty much the same - and that's what I would expect.

If you are seeing a significant drop in speed then I would call them because there is no reason why you should.

Cheers,

Nigel

neuty

Distinguished Member
Copper based broadband speed is largely dependent on the distance from the exchange and the state of the wire between there and your home. This wire is supplied and maintained by BT (Openreach).

Whoever, supplies your copper based internet will use this same run of wire.

There is a little bit that can be done back at the exchange, so if the provider has their own equipment at the exchange they may be able to tweak sone better performance.

I would say that copper speed is down to 90% line 10% exchange.

I went from Nildram (who were widely regarded as one of the best providers in their day) to Sky using BT equipment to Sky using their own equipment. In all three cases, the speed I got was pretty much the same - and that's what I would expect.

If you are seeing a significant drop in speed then I would call them because there is no reason why you should.

Cheers,

Nigel
Thanks Nigel,

I did one better and ditched Sky altogether. Broadband, TV and Phone. Rubbish speed and I was not paying £20 a month to watch a few channels not on Freeview.

I went through 3 weeks of checks and new equipment and they concluded that was there best speed they could offer.

Carl.

nheather

Distinguished Member
i can take fibre optic at half price?
as far as i am aware fibre is about £30, so half price would be what i am paying now for sky broadband. might choose that option. will ring and ask.

i had my concerns when we moved about sky internet as they said i would get upto 9 or 10mbps max, where as in my old flat we got 14mbps minimum. but since we have been here it has been fine actually. seems fast enough, games play ok on xbox etc. can't complain too much.
Sky fibre is £20, I am on it. It is advertised as 40Mb down and 10Mb up. Typically I get 37Mb/10Mb.

So is the offer that this would drop to £10 if I take this extra channel. I'll have to look at it but others say I will look at the tie in. I currently pay around £70pm I think, so this free channel would guarantee Sky income of nearly £1,500 for me to save £240, I am pleased with Sky at the moment and have no plans to leave but 2 years is a long tie in and I'm not a huge sports fan so it would have to be a really good channel for me to bite.

Cheers,

Nigel

GeeZus

Sky fibre is £20, I am on it. It is advertised as 40Mb down and 10Mb up. Typically I get 37Mb/10Mb.

So is the offer that this would drop to £10 if I take this extra channel. I'll have to look at it but others say I will look at the tie in. I currently pay around £70pm I think, so this free channel would guarantee Sky income of nearly £1,500 for me to save £240, I am pleased with Sky at the moment and have no plans to leave but 2 years is a long tie in and I'm not a huge sports fan so it would have to be a really good channel for me to bite.

Cheers,

Nigel
You're correct in that by taking up the offer your fibre price will drop to £10 a month for 2 years as long as you keep the sports package for that period. The actual contract tie in is 18 months for phone and broadband. The TV isn't recontracted

nheather

Distinguished Member
Thanks Nigel,

I did one better and ditched Sky altogether. Broadband, TV and Phone. Rubbish speed and I was not paying £20 a month to watch a few channels not on Freeview.

I went through 3 weeks of checks and new equipment and they concluded that was there best speed they could offer.

Carl.
So who is your broadband with now and what speed are you getting?

If still on copper did they manage to get you back up to 14Mb?

Cheers,

Nigel

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
i think i might fancy my chances of ringing up and "rage quitting" in the hope that they can offer me some more discount on my tv/broadband which would be of a similar value to the free broadband for 2 years. that way i won't be tied in.

neuty

Distinguished Member
So who is your broadband with now and what speed are you getting?

If still on copper did they manage to get you back up to 14Mb?

Cheers,

Nigel
Now with EE and getting 38mb fibre with 10mb upload. Very pleased with it. It is part of a home phone and mobile phone package.

Bar the traffic management they run its fast.

It is half price for 6 months, but can't remember the total cost. About £31

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Am I reading it wrong? You have to sign up to the Sports package (if you don't have it) to get free BB?

So spend £22 a month to save £5? Is that a bit like somebody saying they'll give you a tenner if you give them £20?

mooperman

Distinguished Member
I already have sky and broadband but not sports or movies.... but, am I right in saying that if I upgrade to sports my broadband is free (standard adsl).....?

..if that's the case I'm in I reckon!

nheather

Distinguished Member
Am I reading it wrong? You have to sign up to the Sports package (if you don't have it) to get free BB?

So spend £22 a month to save £5? Is that a bit like somebody saying they'll give you a tenner if you give them £20?
No I it isn't the whole sports package but a 'FREE' new sports channel Sports 5. You don't pay anything for it but they are offering free/reduced price broadband if you agree to tie in for 24 months.

Just a way of locking in customers to prevent them leaving for other offers.

Cheers,

Nigel

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Not sure if you're reading it right or not but your second bit is wrong as you do also get the sports channel for your money... great (potentially) gor me who was planning to upgrade come football season.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
No I it isn't the whole sports package but a 'FREE' new sports channel Sports 5. You don't pay anything for it but they are offering free/reduced price broadband if you agree to tie in for 24 months.

Just a way of locking in customers to prevent them leaving for other offers.

Cheers,

Nigel
So you only get sky sports 5?

I'm out again ha ha

nheather

Distinguished Member
I already have sky and broadband but not sports or movies.... but, am I right in saying that if I upgrade to sports my broadband is free (standard adsl).....?

..if that's the case I'm in I reckon!
That's correct - but the bit you missed is that you are agreeing to stay with Sky for phone and briadband for the next 24 months.

Cheers,

Nigel

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Thats no big deal personally. I'm on a new contract anyway.

The main concern is if I get all the sports channels or just ss5.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Not sure if you're reading it right or not but your second bit is wrong as you do also get the sports channel for your money... great (potentially) gor me who was planning to upgrade come football season.
Yeah I know, but for non-sports customers I assume you have have the Sports package to get SS5?

Or can you get SS5 without the rest?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Klipsch announces four Cinema soundbars for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson adds Connect 250 streaming amp to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces XR series Hi-Fi products
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sonus faber announces Maxima Amator speaker
  • By Andy Bassett