1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY - 2 boxes with 1 Card

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mxr, Jul 24, 2002.

1. mxr

mxr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a holiday home which I spend a fair amount of time at(6 weeks over the course of a year). As I pay £37 per month I would like to be able to make use of it during this period. I have installed a dish at the HH and I can take my box down there and that works, but would prefer to not have to lug the box down each time. I would like to have a second box permanently at the HH and I could just take the card with me. As the card is paired to a specific box this is not I so easy. I contacted SKY and first of all they said that each time I go down there I could call them to pair it to the second box and reverse the procedure on my return. Then they said they would not be happy to keep doing this and suggested a second subscription. £444 for 6 weeks viewing was a bit hard to justify so I said no!!!

Has anyone found a way of getting one card to work in two boxes?

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The short answer is no, but when on holiday why not just have a FTV card, ie FREE TO VIEW for the holiday box, at least u will see BBC etc.

gbmitie.

3. Nike Swish

Nike Swish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheeky b@stards!! :eek: I reckon you should just do it anyway, I mean keep changing the card to the other box, just tell them you have bought a new box each time! :devil:

4. Legendary

Legendary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How about taking the box with you and plug it to Sky Digital mini dish ?

Is that possible.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    That is what mxr has been doing but what he wants is to be able to run two different digiboxes from one smart card.
    The whole point of NDS's Videguard encryption is to prevent that from happening:)
    Too be honest unless you go on your hols by bike then taking a digibox along with your luggage is a small price to pay to use it at another location. Baring that then just buy a second box and ring them when you want to marry the card, SKY will notice the re-pairing but it's hardly any trouble to them and if they do comment then explain the situation, can't afford a second subscription and the "mirror" subscription is not applicable.

6. mxr

mxr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes I have been taking the box down with me at it works OK, but I would prefer not to have to keep unplugging it each time I go, what with the risks of damage and it just a bit onf a pain. I can undersand why the NDS's Videguard encryption is there to stop using cards freely in any box, but it would be good if a card could be paired to an additional specific box.

Does anyone have any experience of contacting SKY to pair their card to a second box, and back again between the two on a number of occasions? Do they start to get funny about it and refuse to do it?...and how long does it take to activate normally?