1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ 17 minutes problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by uk_jih, Jul 8, 2004.

1. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have had a 120GB disk installed in my V1 box for 12 months now without any sign of this problem.

I get up this morning and the box is in standby and on channel 998. I was watching some recorded poker last night and I had reached 57 minutes, when I press play it starts playing from 17 minutes and if I FF then it goes back to the 17 minutes point.

I delete the program and watch another one that was only 30 minutes long and I notice that after 25 minutes it says 17 minutes but it still played to the end.

Is there a solution to this problem?

2. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have had this problem after a power cut last night, it’s a known issue with upgraded box’s, you have to do a system reset in the service menu (This will wipe all programs)

You can still FF programs that have this problem if you only use x12 speed and not x30.

Does anyone know what the cause of this is ?

3. RichardP

RichardP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a well documented problem, most people say its only associated with large capacity upgraded drives, some say its just that these drives are more likely to exhibit the problem. It is commonly believed that the problem was introduced with the dual record update.

The problem only appears to manifest itself after a reset, this means that every time Sky issues a new version of the software and anytime the power is cut from the box your existing recordings are at risk.

The theory is that the larger hard disks generate more fragmentation and this causes corruption of the disk allocation tables, on boot up a check of the disk is made and this causes programs to be truncated at approx the 1 hour point and an inability to fast forwards past the 17 minute point. If you perform a search you should be able to find more information.

The only solution is to perform full housekeeping as often as possible, this will delete all your recordings and everything in your planner. However if you don't do this there is a good chance that you will lose the recordings anyway. Many people have reverted back to the 40GB drives because of this.

Hope this helps,

Richard

4. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  5. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the info.

6. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the following all help:

-minimise dual recordings on the disk, which means
    --don't enable instant rewind
    --delete recordings after viewing, especially dual recorded ones

Since the damage occurs at restart:
    -get a UPS

I also do the following, but I don't realy know if it makes a difference:
    -set 'keep' on all recordings
    -stay below 80% full

I have not had a problem since adopting these. (about 3 months) 120G is worth it for me.

If you get the 17min bug
    -don't erase the recordings with the bug
    -do a housekeeping reset as soon as possible

I suspect the problem also affects 40G drives; it's just rare (probably a timing issue).