1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ 160GB

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by enduroman, Feb 26, 2005.

1. enduroman

enduroman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been told that you cannot buy the Sky+ 160GB recorders yet as there are problems with them. The brand I was looking at was Thompson160GB. I was also told that boxes from Pace and others were not yet available?

Does anybody have any information on the situation? :)

2. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,816
  3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Why would anyone buy a Sky+ 160 gig for £329

A Sky+ 40 gig costs £99 (from Sky)
    A Maxtor 200 gig HD costs £60 an plugs right in, total cost £160

am I missing somthing??

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think some people are buying them in the hope that the USB connections will actually do something in the future ? I understand that there have been a few problems with the video on this model. I would also advise buying a standard Sky+ unit and upgrading it yourself. If you can replace a hard disk in a PC, you can replace it in a Sky+ box.

5. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,816
    I've just tried to watch a film of my sky+160,the sound keeps cutting out.Had it about 2 weeks will be contacting simplydigital monday.
    Anyone else had this problem?

6. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a widely reported problem with sound drop outs on Dolby Films in Sky Movies. Since before Christmas Sky have been telling people that it will be resolved by a new software download. We are waiting for software downloads for the smaller 40GB Amstrad and Pace boxes too, but for other software faults. No sign of them yet.

There are also a smaller number of reports of the 160Gb boxes being noisy. Hard to tell with this one as all boxes make some noise but it is normally inaudible - however if they are noisy then you aren't going to find out until you get one. Tricky.

The main reason that I can see for getting a 160Gb is that it is supported by Sky. They do go splat. If your box dies and it is unsupported - you are really stuck. You buy a box from Sky - it's their problem for the first 12 months and £60 thereafter.

The modified boxes are a good idea - more expensive than quoted as you would need to pay about £160ish for the box unless you are a new Sky Customer - but....Sky don't test their software downloads against all types of HD. You can't expect them to. So if they download a new software release and the modified boxes don't like it....

Do some searches on the "17 minute" bug on modified boxes. Currently fixed for all but V1 boxes - but what if the next download reintroduced it?

Of course I am just stirring here but forewarned is........

I have been thinking about a 160 box but to be honest I really don't know what to do. I have an early V1 which is working fine and I might just sit still. Might even get a nice DVDR with HD and support my existing box with that instead. So - there are other ways round the problem and there are a few other options.

Roger

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Very soon small hard drives (less than 80GB) will be as rare as rocking-horse droppings, so I hardly think that Sky would perform such a retrograde step. Sky support doesn't worry me one little bit, because there is no way that I'm going to pay them maintenance to get a "refurbished" box when/if mine goes wrong, especially if they're going to take my Pace away and supply an Amstrad :suicide:

Should my (unsupported) box ever die and I can't fix it, I'll mosey over to Ebay and buy another :smashin: