Sky+ 160

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rasczak, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    Just wondering if anyone has taken the plunge and got this yet? I'm interested to know what the quality of the new box is like and whether there have been any noticeable improvements to the MPEG decoder (etc).

Many thanks.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's the same box with a bigger hard disk inside. All Sky+ V2 boxes will now accept a HDD of 250GB (or maybe even higher, but I've not heard of anyone fitting anything bigger yet). I have a 200Gb drive in my box, and it works a treat - a 200Gb drive will set you back about £75, but it invalidates warranties to fit one.

3. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything seems the same as my old non-sky+ panasonic box. Picture quality and speed all seem about the same (which is good as I have heard bad things about menu speed from non-panny boxes).

The only downside is it constantly makes a buzzing noise. Apparently is the fan on *all* the time. Even when the HD is not being used. Slack programming basically, and they are supposedly working on a software upgrade to sort it out. Which will hopefully come along this side of 2010. ahem, to sky, something like IF HD.SPIN = 0 THEN GOSUB TURN_BLOODY_FAN_OFF would be quite nice thank you....

Oh, and it has USB ports on it. Which will be quite nice when they, apparently, will upgrade it to upload video to a portable device.

And it really does have that stupid 160 on the left of it. I feel like painting my room 70's orange, and writting INJECTION in big letters across my car.....

Cheers

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Modded V2 boxes show the same "fan continuosly on" symptom as the new 160 boxes, so it's definitely something in the programming.

5. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

lol lol