Sky+ 160 - what are the USB ports for?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gsxr750steve, May 31, 2005.

1. gsxr750steve

gsxr750steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+160 has apparently got two USB ports on it. Don't suppose they are for something useful like exporting your recorded programs onto your PC are they? I want to do this for long-term storage of recorded programs (just like you could do in the old days of Videos...)

Any ideas?

Steve

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    At present there is no use for the USB ports, but a software change could enable them for a future purpose. Direct transfer to PC is unlikely, since the data on the disk is encrypted and has to go through the decoder. This is why you can only play one thing at a time, but you can record two.

If I were you, I would avoid the 160 box, as there are known issues with it with the sound. A software upgrade should fix this, but no-one knows when this will be.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Thomson have already demostrated a portable video player designed to hook up to the SKY160's USB ports and I expect other video/audio sources as well.
    Not sure if it's in direct co-operation with SKY and intended to be sold through SKY as an addon since Thomson already have the Lyra range.

Rumoured to be released this year but probably out gunned by more flexible and probably cheaper high end portable players from the likes of ipod, iriver etc