1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+160 recording

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by O'Pebble, May 22, 2005.

1. O'Pebble

O'Pebble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Was trying to copy a Sky+ recording to tape when I pressed the dreaded yellow delete button (why on earth don't they have a "are you sure" check?) by accident.

Is there anyway to reinstate that recording?

Presumably it must be on the same principle as a deleted file on a PC such that the 1st character of the file name is changed to a "?". But can I get in to resurrect?

Bob

2. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently not.

If you select a recording to keep and then go to delete it, Sky+ does indeed ask you if you are sure.

3. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could always take out the drive and put it into a PC. It's only a bog standard 3.5" Maxtor effort. Not sure if whatever Sky formats to will be compatible with windows, but I'm guessing it will be. Bet if you took it apart a bit it will basically be a circa 1989 desktop with a cut down OS. Although if it's already written over the same area of disk then you will be stuffed obviously.

Cheers

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The undelete function within Windows works because "deleted" files are not actually deleted, but stored in a "deleted" directory. Older versions changed the filename using a leading character which was not normally found in ordinary file names. It's true that the Sky box uses the same format for storing files as Windows does, but I don't think they implement the undelete function. Wouldn't do much harm to look, though. I didn't see any evidence of it on the HDD that I removed from my box after upgrading.