1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY 160+ Power Fluctuation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by alona10, Jul 17, 2005.

1. alona10

alona10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :thumbsup:

Sorry this matter of the sky+ 160 box again!! I have only had box Number 4 for a few months now & it to have gone to its grave as well. The other night it froze on the blue screen so I switched it off at the wall for a minute then left in standby for 30 seconds. After that all was ok for 24 Hours, and then it did it again. This time I called sky but we could not resuscitate the box.

Hello box # 5.

My question is sky said that It maybe a power fluctuation thing, I’m already using a surge protector but is there any way to stabilise the power for a constant 230 volts? Or does anyone have an answer to the sky story.

Alona 10

2. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Your power supply company only has to average 230V, it can dip below by 5-6% or peak 5-6% above.
    You could request they monitor your supply. The SKY boxes can't all be faulty, surely - so worth pursuing with your electricity supplier.
    If the supply is out of tolerance they legally have to correct this.
    Surge protectors protect against spikes on the mains - over/under voltage wouldn't necessarily be catered for.

3. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    In an over voltage situation you can get step down mains transformers
    see http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/, under BD PURE series, best ring them to discuss. An AV suitable PURE POWER would cost around £400.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Cheaper to get a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) £39.99 from Ebuyer

Will keep the Sky box going for at least half an hour during a power cut, and irons out all those nasty spikes :)

P.S. Don't forget the power adaptor cables, Ebuyer Quickfind 40660 !

5. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Maybe, but if Alona has permanent overvoltage rather than intermittent spikes then a UPS wouldn't sort the problem. Alona still needs to get the electricity company to assess the exact problem.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Fluctuation isn't permanent over-voltage. The power delivered to your house has to (by law) be +/-10% of the nominal. So a nominal 230V could legally be anything from 207V to 253V. A power supply should cope with that. If the supply was permanently above 253V (or 264V for a 240V supply), the consumer has the right to demand rectification of the problem and compensation for damage.

Switched-mode power supplies like those fitted in Sky boxes do not like "spikes" on the mains, and if you're really unlucky it knocks them out. These are caused when inductive load appliances like refrigerators and vacuum cleaners are turned on and off. A UPS or a good quality mains filter will remove these.

7. alona10

alona10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply.
    I have been on ebuyer and all the ups are over £100
    but will this do the same Belkin PureAV Isolator Home Theatre Surge Protector?

As for my 160 box. #1 stuck on standby #2&3 The hard drives went & #4 stuck on standby. I have no problems with my old sky box or any other equipment connected to the same sockets. The power thing is something sky said so i thought i would as the likes of yourself with more now.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    This one isn't - it's £39.99 inc. VAT ! :)

It will help, but I would still prefer the UPS - problems seem to occur most during power supply interruptions & "spikes" - plus the UPS will keep the box recording, even through short power cuts. Beware, it is heavy, and is approx 12" x 5" x 7.5". I have one behind the stand my plasma sits on.

9. alona10

alona10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick

This one Ebuyer Uninterruptible Power Supply 1000VA with USB connection and LCD Screen works with both MAC'S and PC

Thanks for your help Nick.

I take it that you can plugs the sky box right in?

Alona :thumbsup:

Its a pity the sky box wasint better built!