1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+160 or sky + with dvd hdd recorder?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by G1OSE, Feb 18, 2005.

1. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi
    i was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this

i have read about the 160+ version of sky but was wondering what differences it has over the normal + box i saw usb ports and 3 viewing/ recordings at 1 time does the normal + do this?

would it be better to get a sky+ 160gb and a dvd recorder at about £600 total or
    sky+ 40gb and a dvd recorder with harddrive like 80gb meaning 120gb total £400 with new customer deal
    what would give me better or more recordings and feature?

cheers
    also still no rgb on the boxes whats that about?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Other than the size of the HD and the USB ports the 160 box has exactly the same features as the standard box. You can record 2 channels whilst watching an existing recording or record 1 channel whilst watching another 'live' channel.

Not sure what you mean about 'no rgb' - the box will output RGB via scart.

HTH

John

3. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using Sky+ is a totally new experience. It isn't like using a VCR. I would just get Sky+ and use it for couple of weeks before getting a DVDR.

As already posted - the difference between the two boxes is basically the HD size. 20 hours or 80 hours. Sky have said that the 160 is the basis for the next generation of development - but no-one really knows what they mean by that. The USB's are there but are not activated.

So - it's a price and HD size thing. If the price is okay I would suggest going for the larger box. Users are not reporting any issues on the 160 except for a software problem with sound drop outs on Dolby Soundtracks on Sky Movies. Sky will probably fix this soon with a download from the Satellite. The 40 GB boxes are either Pace or Amstrad - you don't get any choice. You get what is on the van. There are lots of problems with the Amstrads being reported. Some users say they are fine but others report problems with banding appearing on screen and a software problem with the clock. The latter will probably be fixed soon - the former....a bit of an unknown. The Pace is currently running pretty well.

Don't be put off by glitches. Once you have had it a week you won't know how you ever survived without it. If they took mine away I would pack in multi channel TV altogether.

I have a DVDR - but I only really use it when I run out of space on my Sky+ - so as a back up. And it really is unwieldy in comparison. Guess it depends on what you are going to want to use the DVDR for? Archive? take your time and have a go with Sky+ first, then decide. (Actually, I quite fancy a Panasonic E85 with the editing functions on the HD - but I don't think I would ever use it....)

Roger

4. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry i meant component output of rgb

also thanks for the replys

Roger out of interest what size b ox do you have? 20 or 80?
    i think ill have to go for the box then wait and see 400 as apposed to 99 is a bit of a jump for the extra space if it was 99 or 250 or even 300 then i wouldnt have a doubt but 400 is a bit much

5. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I have a V1 Pace - so the first model that came out - 40GB.

For £99 it's a steal - go and do it now.

Roger

6. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    why not buy the normal sky plus for £99 then buy the same hard drive that goes in the sky+160 for £50 and hey presto 80 hours recording for £150 instead of £400.

if there are any problems dont worry about your years warenty just put the old harddrive back in before they come round.

7. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or if your concerned about warranty you can buy new upgraded boxes from the Net for a little bit more, try Pricerunner.co.uk or Dealtime.co.uk. These come with warranty from the company that upgraded them.

Wackojacko32

8. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cant find any on those links got any direct links to these upgraded boxes?

9. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  10. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thats great thanks i think when i can ill see what sky offer

also with those boxes are you suppost to get sky to install it? or do you not need to tell them?

11. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the very least you will need to phone them to pair the card with the new box and switch on the Sky+ recording facilities. You'll also need another feed from your dish to the new box as it has twin tuners.

I have assumed you are already with Sky but looking at the offers you have quoted, these are for new customers only. If you are a new customer you'll also need a dish on top of the box price and twin cable for the feed so the £399 is starting to look less expensive:)

HTH

Wackojacko32

12. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    why dont you just get normal sky+ for £99 with free standard instalation (dish cables and all installed) then buy a new 160gig hard drive £55 put that in your self very easy. then its all installed for you plus with the sky +160 recording capacity all for £154 pounds no fannying about

13. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Miller25

I agree totally, I have just had the bog standard box installed for £99 and will probably be upgrading later on. I was simply providing an alternative if the OP was not confident with opening up the box, warranty issues etc. :)

Wackojacko32