Sky+ 160 Disappeared from forum

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by neiljones, Jan 13, 2005.

1. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is there any reason why there appears to be no threads on Sky + 160 ?

As there is no reduction on the price are we right to presume Sky is pleased with the uptake or are they bluffing - was very costly especially with the installation charge of £60.

If the take up had been substantial I would have thought many issues would have been raised.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY made a point that they did not expect to see the unit sell in any great numbers especially since there is no use for the USB ports at this time and couple with the very high price tag.
    It's existince is perhaps more as a bridging unit for the introduction of new models in the next 12/18 months and a revenue source to convince Thomson that they should invest in the new production line for SKY products.

3. alona10

alona10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    So does this mean that when sky comes out with HDTV next year that this 160+ box will be U.S. :confused:
    or is this the point of the digital port cover on the rear? As for the £60 installation i did it,the sky Eng. only connected the box! (big deal)
    Alona10

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY High Def is going to run in parrallellelle (as bad as knowing when to stop spelling banananana...) with the normal digital service.
    If want SKY High Def then you will need a brand new STB from them along with an additional subscription.

5. alona10

alona10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburst
    Will stay with the 160+ box i think. This is my 2nd box after 6 wks and all the 40+ boxes that i read about go wrong,so how will sky get their HDTV sets to work? :rolleyes:

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    My 40gig box doesn't go wrong, missed the start of HEX a couple of months ago thanks to a BBC n&n update for an over running Top Gear and I had two failed recordings a year or so ago thanks to a thunder storm but they were Xena repeats anyway:)

There are probably 7 millions digiboxes that work fine and a couple of hundred thousand SKY+ units that give no problems at all.
    However build quality needs to be increased, software especially when it's tailored to particular models has to be better tested and installations have to be done as if they were at the installers own home. Users also have to understand that the hardware is far more suspectable to temperature than a VCR with far too many SKY+ units cooking themselves and causing crashes and lockups that can not be explained, SKY+ in that respect is very much like a PC :(