Sky+ 160 constant hard disk access

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gordonavon, Aug 22, 2005.

1. gordonavon

gordonavon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky+160 box is constantly accessing the hard disk (or at least that is what it sounds like) every 5 seconds or so. The noise is getting on our nerves. When we are sitting in the living room having a chat or reading we have to turn the box off at the mains, as it is literally all we can hear. :mad:

Just to be clear it is NOT trying to record anything - it just does it constantly.

Is this normal - does anyone else have this problem. If not then I will get another box I think. I've had it for 6 months or so, and I'm sure it was not as bad as this in the beginning. :confused:

Thanks for any assistance
    Gordon

2. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you turned off the instant rewind? Other than that the 160 is annoying with sound. I've noticed that even when it's off it seems to now again kick in it's *seriously* annoying fan for a while. Talk about crap software controllers. Note that my second 160 seems a little better (I got the 160 originally when it first came out).

Interestingly I was losing signal on my Sky+ box, as well as my multiroom Sky box. Obviously an LNB/Dish problem then? Left my (visiting on holiday) dad to look after the Sky engineer while I was in work. Didn't quite get my message across to the engineer (forgot to mention multiroom), and they said it *wasn't* the dish, but the 160 box. Replaced the 160 box (lost all recordings obviously) with a new one, and off they went (after checking the dish and LNB out and apparently finding no faults). Amazingly it all worked fine (apart from having to phone Sky to get it all activated again, as the engineer forgot). I'm suspicious as pants though as I cannot see how the hell it was the 160 considering the other Sky box was going wrong too. I'm just wondering if they sort the problem out, blame the 160, then put a new (fixed) 160 in place, slowly weeding out the problem 160s and quietly replacing with new better working ones. So try knocking your dish and getting the engineer out ;) And I haven't had any of those annoying sound losses on playback since getting the new one either. I don't mean DD playback (haven't tried a movie in ages), but when you sometimes press play after fastforwarding and no noise comes out at all, until you press backup and play again.

Cheers