1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ 160 Box Failed

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by highlander_777, Jul 5, 2005.

1. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I cannot get the box out of standby. Call sky and they asked me to do a box refresh by holding down the backup button and powering off and on again. Still did not work.

Now they say I have to wait until Friday. What's that all about and I know they will probably just change it and then I will lose all my recordings

Has anyone else had this problem + crap service. 4 days just to send out a muppet engineer... :thumbsdow

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Well, Sky don't promise same day, on site, support :rolleyes: .

How do you know the engineer is going to be a muppet. I've had 2 Sky installs done and two engineer visits in the last 8 years or so and everytime, the engineer has known exactly what he was doing...

John

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I ahd various problems with a standard sky digi box and out of 8 call outs, only one was an official sky enginer. All the others looked and acted like they didnt give a :oops:

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    While you're waiting, make sure you did the "box refresh" thing correctly. You have to keep the "backup" button pressed in all the time whilst powering on, and only release it when you see the message on the screen. People often release the button too early, and it doesn't work. If you don't see the message within 2 minutes, the box is dead.

5. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    and get the message on the TV stating that the system is doing stuff :confused:

Also it states that it should take 10 minutes

After that I press tv then sky then power, nothing the box is still in standby :rolleyes:

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It can take longer than 10 minutes. When it's finished, the box should automatically go into standby, and after about 30 seconds it should switch on with the on/off button.

7. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I guess that the engineer will turn up and just replace the box with a different one and I will lose all my recording again :thumbsdow

Does an anyone use alternative methods of backing up their stuff

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    DVD recorder ?

9. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A week and a half ago my parents' Sky+ 160 box did the same thing. Wouldn't come out of standby so when I went round to visit I spent most my time on the phone to the Sky help line.
    Did all the reset, check cables, software upgrade stuff.
    Didn't work. They said need an engineer and as we didn't have the extended warrenty, it was a £65 call out charge payable over the phone. I pointed out the box was only 2 months old. After a few minutes they agreed to waive the charge.

Two days later, the repair man turns up, has a look, plays around a bit and says "Yep, you'll need a new box. Don't have one with me. Will bring it in a few days"

4 days later, new box turns up. Of course we've lost everything that was on the old box (they won't / can't copy the hard disk contents and I couldn't do it without breaking the warrenty).

Weird how this happens only a week after refusing to take out the extended warrenty.

10. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah and what really pisses me off is that what exactly is inside these boxes. I have a home computer that I use most days and it's been running for 3.5 yrs without a problem. Why can't just swap out the hard drives and give me a new box

Also, what is interesting is that I have asked for a rebate as I will be without SKY for 4 days....The operator thought that I was talking foreign :(

As they have ****** me off, I will be asking for a rebate as it will make me happy :smashin:

11. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Try unplugging everything from the back of the box (make a note of where it goes) and ONLY plug the power lead back in! There is a small chance that it is an external piece of equipment that is causing it to do so, if it still will not turn on then something inside the box has gone!
    It could be a hard drive fault that is causing it, thats why they won't put your hd inside another box, aside from the fact that the manufacturers won't let anyone open up the boxes for warranty purposes!