Sky 16:9 widescreen not working

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Homer Lawtey, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Homer Lawtey

Homer Lawtey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys/girls,

I'm after some help. I bought normal digital Sky when I moved into my new house, and was really pleased when I hooked it up to my Goodmans widescreen TV and found I could watch all the channels in widescreen (something I had never had before with terestrial analogue). Unfortunately me Goodmans went bang last week, so I bought a 32" Samsung LCD (LE32R41BDX) which arrived today.

Unfortunately I can't get the Sky signal to work in widescreen at all now. I have tried watching it through the RF aerial cable and through the scart cable, both are the same. I have tried watching it with the settings on the Sky box set at 16:9 and 4:3 with no joy either. I have changed the settings on the TV to 16:9, 16:9 auto and 4:3 and it still makes no difference either.

I've watched a couple of DVDs today over a scart connection, and they worked fine with TV at 16:9 auto and the DVD player in 16:9 mode.

Please, can someone hazard a guess at what I'm doing wrong, as I'm tearing my hair out with having to watch a crap picture which has been stretched to fit the screen. Hell, I'd be as well off switching back to analogue terestrial if that's going to be the case!!!

Steve

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Make sure you have the scart control switched on and you are using the TV scart socket not the VCR scart socket on the digibox.
    Oh and any changes in the digiboxes setting has to be saved before exiting the menu, redundant warning perhaps but ya never know:)

3. Homer Lawtey

Homer Lawtey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburst.

I made sure I had connected the scart in the TV output, checked that I had saved my settings and checked that I had turned scart control switched on.

Then I decided to unplug the box and leave it 5 minutes, re-connect the phone line and power it back up. Now when I change from 4:3 to 16:9 there is a little flicker of the screen, like something is happening.

I've compared where the CITV logo sits on the screen now, using terestrial analogue, digital and sky, and the logo is in different places for all 3 transmissions!!! The Sky signal looks the best :D.

Does anyone know what the scart output PAL/RGB does? When selected to RGB, I get loads of faint vertical lines across the screen. I thought RGB was meant to be better? Is this just showing up cheap leads?

Thanks again,

Steve

4. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    the lines or noise , you are seeing is quite often rectified by using a quality scart lead, no need to go mad check on ebay, about £10/15 should do the trick, just look for metal ends and not plastic as this is a good sign of decent quality.

5. Homer Lawtey

Homer Lawtey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ljd. I know I should invest in some decent leads, but didn't want to go spending money on stuff only to find I still had a problem!

Whilst I'm at it then, maybe I should invest in a good scart lead for the DVD player, a good co-axial cable from the DVD to the cinema box, plus decent audio leads from the TV to the cinema box! Any suggestions/recommendations?

Cheers,

Steve