Sky 10 bit HDR - Compatible AV Receivers

Pat Gleeson

Standard Member
Whilst going through the excellent and informative forums here, I have discovered to my disappointment that my Sony STR-DN 1060 receiver won’t allow Sky Q 10 bit UHD through for HDR. Although now I have the Sky Q STB connected directly to my TV, I’ve had to resort to using the optical connection for audio. Not ideal for practically, and no DD+ or Atmos on Sky Q now either.
I see other makes of receivers have this issue, so I want to get it right this time. I have up to €600 to spend on a new receiver.

Setup:
TV - Panasonic TX-65HZ1000
STB - Sky Q 2TB
UHD BD Player - Sony UPB-X800

Many thanks in advance :)

Pat Gleeson

Standard Member
Thanks Rambles will try that when I get home - much appreciated :)

Whilst going through the excellent and informative forums here, I have discovered to my disappointment that my Sony STR-DN 1060 receiver won’t allow Sky Q 10 bit UHD through for HDR. Although now I have the Sky Q STB connected directly to my TV, I’ve had to resort to using the optical connection for audio. Not ideal for practically, and no DD+ or Atmos on Sky Q now either.
I see other makes of receivers have this issue, so I want to get it right this time. I have up to €600 to spend on a new receiver.

Setup:
TV - Panasonic TX-65HZ1000
STB - Sky Q 2TB
UHD BD Player - Sony UPB-X800

Many thanks in advance :)
Sounds like the AVR cannot pass HLG.

Take a look at the Denon X2700H.

gibbsy

You can use ARC to get Dolby Digital Plus and any associated Atmos metadata from the TV. A lot depends on how well your TV and the AVR will play with ARC.

Pat Gleeson

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies everyone. Have much to be getting with - I’ll report back on my progress :)

Pat Gleeson

Standard Member
Sounds like the AVR cannot pass HLG.

Take a look at the Denon X2700H.
Yes indeed - a problem with a few units as the forums here indicate. It’s infuriating that Sky Q don’t support HDR via UHD 8 bit.

Yes indeed - a problem with a few units as the forums here indicate. It’s infuriating that Sky Q don’t support HDR via UHD 8 bit.
It caused me to swap out my previous Pioneer AVR for my current Denon, which was a bit of a pain. I did try the ARC workaround, but it was a nightmare so had to bite the bullet.

Pat Gleeson

Standard Member
It caused me to swap out my previous Pioneer AVR for my current Denon, which was a bit of a pain. I did try the ARC workaround, but it was a nightmare so had to bite the bullet.
That’s my fear - that the workaround will be a nightmare - hence my only option being replacement.

D

Deleted member 39241

That’s my fear - that the workaround will be a nightmare - hence my only option being replacement.
It might not be a nightmare. ARC works seamlessly for me on 4 out of 5 systems in the house. It's a Sony TV with Yamaha AVR that's the problem one. Hopefully yours will be okay!

You may be lucky - it's just the ARC needs HDMI CEC to be activated, and HDMI CEC has a mind of it's own. It's totally unpredictable as to what will work as you want, and what won't work.

dion 6

I've got a panasonic 65inch GZ950 and a Sony STR-DN1080 and the arc between the tv and avr has been flooorless so I hope your panasonic and Sony are the same. DD+ and atmos from tv apps with no problems and the gz950 has only arc not eARC

Pat Gleeson

Standard Member
I've got a panasonic 65inch GZ950 and a Sony STR-DN1080 and the arc between the tv and avr has been flooorless so I hope your panasonic and Sony are the same. DD+ and atmos from tv apps with no problems and the gz950 has only arc not eARC
Sounds promising - I’ll report tomorrow on progress :)

goatlips

Pat Gleeson

Standard Member
Thanks everyone - that worked out beautifully. Watched Chernobyl in glorious HDR and the football in 4K with Dolby Digital + / Atmos audio.
Much appreciated :)
Once I give the TV a good workout, I’ll post a review on it’s dedicated forum.

rousetafarian

Thanks everyone - that worked out beautifully. Watched Chernobyl in glorious HDR and the football in 4K with Dolby Digital + / Atmos audio.
Much appreciated :)
Once I give the TV a good workout, I’ll post a review on it’s dedicated forum.
Glad to see the power of the forum doing its thing (again)

Pat Gleeson

Standard Member
Glad to see the power of the forum doing its thing (again)
This forum is invaluable - my latest TV purchase was a direct result of recommendations of contributors of this forum :)

Pat Gleeson

Standard Member
Do I enable it on my TV?
Assuming it isn’t on by default, then yes. My issue wasn’t my TV, but my AV Receiver which doesn’t recognise HLG.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Do I enable it on my TV?
No, you'd not need to specifically enablr HLG, but you'd need to ensure the deep colour or a specific UHD option is enabled on that TV for the input you are using to access HDR via. This would also be the case for other forms of HDR such as Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HDR10+.

The following gives guidance on how to enable HDR or Deep Colour on most make of TV:

Note that not all devices or TVs handle HLG and it wasn't initially supported when GDR was initially introduced onboard TV. Support for it was introduced later, but some TVs or and devices cannot be updated tr give support for it.

The Sony STRDN1080 includes support for HLG as will the Panasonic TX-65HZ1000.

Last edited:

goatlips

No, you'd not need to specifically enablr HLG, but you'd need to ensure the deep colour or a specific UHD option is enabled on that TV for the input you are using to access HDR via. This would also be the case for other forms of HDR such as Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HDR10+.

The following gives guidance on how to enable HDR or Deep Colour on most make of TV:

Note that not all devices or TVs handle HLG and it wasn't initially supported when GDR was initially introduced onboard TV. Support for it was introduced later, but some TVs or and devices cannot be updated tr give support for it.

The Sony STRDN1080 includes support for HLG as will the Panasonic TX-65HZ1000.
HDR is on but HLG is off...

Attachments

• 20210228_155035.jpg
    20210228_155035.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 10

dante01

Distinguished Member
Most TVs wouldn't have any seperate setting or options relative to HLG.

What is HDR+ mode? I'm assuming this is something specific to your make of TV? You shouldn't really be adding additional processing. The video wouldn't need it.

The mode appears to be something used to create pseudo HDR from SDR sources?

Upscale content with HDR+ Mode​

Even for older films and TV series that may not be 4K or HDR ready, Samsung SUHD TV will upscale content to the extent possible in order to maximize image quality. The newly introduced HDR+ Mode will improve your picture quality even further by adjusting the color and brightness range, ensuring that your standard dynamic range (SDR) content will look like HDR content. In fact, it not only enhances SDR, the new HDR+ algorithm also enhances standard HDR content increasing the level of contrast ratio to differentiate objects from the background, while still depicting more image details on the screen for an overall better picture.

It is commonly suggested that you tirn such modes off.

Last edited:

Pat Gleeson

Standard Member
Thanks Dante01

Last edited:

goatlips

Most TVs wouldn't have any seperate setting or options relative to HLG.

What is HDR+ mode? I'm assuming this is something specific to your make of TV? You shouldn't really be adding additional processing. The video wouldn't need it.

The mode appears to be something used to create pseudo HDR from SDR sources?

It is commonly suggested that you tirn such modes off.
I don't really know. It is a Samsung qled TV.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Harman Luxury Audio Group releases updated MusicLife app
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett