1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky 1 volume

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by simon69, Jan 29, 2003.

1. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    At first it was a minor irritation but now it is becoming a right pain in the ****! Monday for example, I was watching Enterprise at an ambient volume, on come the adverts, and all my windows were put thought due to the increase in volume (slight exaggeration there) so I turned the volume down on the TV. When Enterprise came back on only those skilled in the art of lip reading could know what was being said.

What is going on it like this all the time now with the volume down for the adverts and up for the programs, sometimes I just like to vegetate in the chair.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I the victim of a Rupert Murdoch conspiracy?

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed that Sky's broadcasting of South Park is always marred by a very low audio volume. As mentioned, this does not carry through to the associated advert breaks and is annoying as hell.

3. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes your right its happening more and more these days .

Its to do with the ads so we pay more attention to them .
    They broadcast them loud to stand out .
    Auf Weidersien Pet on UK Gold is so quiet then as you say as soon as theres a break the sofa starts rocking .

Yet another intrusion into our living rooms

4. Billy Elliot

Billy Elliot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adverts have always been broadcast louder than tv shows. It has been like that for years.

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, they've all been widescreen for ages on terrestrial (even though the damn programmes aren't) and definitely seem to have both higher volume and better quality sound.

The original TV advert for LOTR at the cinema sounded better than anything I've ever heard before or since on regular TV.

6. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe, but not to the extent that it is now done.

But they've shot themselves in the foot; because now when the adverts come on I hit the mute button, whereas before I would have listened.

7. Billy Elliot

Billy Elliot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read in a newspaper that Madonna phoned up the head of a tv network in america and complained because the adverts were so loud during the broadcast of one of her films (she was probably the only person watching!). That was years ago.

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean, I usually tend to hit the teletext button when the adds come on, leave the amp running and switch back when the TV show resumes.

And of course there's still that one joy of timeshift recording TV shows, the FF button through the ads :)

9. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    At least adverts are a good time to make that half hourly trip to the bog.....beer and old age creeping up.

10. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I think most people are peeved at the rediculous change in levels for ads. That Channel 4 complaints prog (before axed!) Right to Reply had a slot about it. The ITC were contacted and said they could do nothing because they agreed with advertisers that the volume level was not louder. It was in fact due to mixing levels which, for example, were commensurate with loud programme sections - just all the bloody time:mad: :rolleyes:
    The muting button on my amp has been employed for some time to drop a few dBs. Of course, the other problem with Sky is how it tries to have ads in as many channels at the same time to avoid channel jumping, but as juboy sais, teletext is a God send.

11. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently, although don't quote me on this, there is also an "OFF" button.

You can press it on Sky, come back and switch back on after about 10 minutes and the ads are still on!!

(Maybe a slight exaggeration, but we all know what I mean!)

And yes, they do try and get all the ads on at the same time, you have to watch a bit of a movie ( what films are now known as) to avoid the ads.

BUY A McDONALD FLAMEBURGER. IT GETS YOUR WHITES WHITER THAN WHITE. REASSURINGLY EXPENSIVE.

Sorry, just having a loud ad break!!:D

12. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112

Yes, I can see it makes far more sense to turn off the sky box and guess in silence and blindness when the ads are over. And trust that your box will last and not get into periodic software tangles and need an un-plug re-plug restart:rolleyes:

13. Billy Elliot

Billy Elliot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ad breaks on Sky are soooo long :boring: :boring:

Watched the football last night, and at half-time there was about 11 minutes of adverts :mad:

14. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Perhaps you can clear something up for the lads down the pub Billy Elliot, when you pee do you do it standing up or plier due to queer pressure:confused: :D

15. Billy Nomates

Billy Nomates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tivo is the answer. 10-15 minutes of ads during each hour of programming so record it with Tivo, start watching after 15 minutes and skip over the ads so you won't hear any change in volume and still finish at the same time.

16. Billy Nomates

Billy Nomates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PLease don't be rude to the the younger members otherwise I will be forced to put you on my list along with Jimbo

17. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :nono: You could try turning the TV off. :rolleyes:

18. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112

There's an off switch on the tv???
    That's the sort of old wives tale women spin to get you to listen to them instead of the true pleasure-giver/caretaker that is tv.