1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ £10 sub scrapped (for some) - CONFIRMED !!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by james payne, Sep 5, 2003.

1. james payne

james payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    News from another forum and plusworld reveals that Sky have confirmed that the £10 sub is to be scrapped with effect from 1st October. This only applies to subscribers who subscribe to at least 2 x premium channels. Also confirmed is the mirror sub going down to £10 instead of £15

2. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    blackmailing b*******:mad: :mad: :mad:

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    From Mediabullit web site.....

05/09/03 Sky+ monthly fee dropped
    As exclusively revealed last month by Sky Digi Online, Sky have announced this afternoon that the monthly £10 fee to watch Sky+ will be dropped. As long as you subscribe to any two Sky Premium channels you will be entitled to have your £10 Sky+ subscription fee waived. Sky Family pack customers and those on lower subscription packages will continue to pay £10 per month Sky+ subscription charge. Sky also announced that the cost of a Sky mirror subscription is to reduced from £15 to £10. The new prices are in effect, as we reported, from the 1st of October 2003.
    News Feed: Lakhvinder Baddhan Source: Sky, Plusworld News Break: 17:45

4. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    so,to save £10 you have to give them?(fill in amount!)like i said blackmail pure and simple.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ....em

5. SteveO

SteveO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    So does this mean as a Sky+ user with a mirrored subscription on a second box (paying £38 for full Sky World package and £15 for the mirror) that my amount will actually be coming down to £48 in total a month?

6. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's right.

7. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    help me out here please.
    I have sky with the movie package I.E. Not sport. I am thinking about upgrading to Sky+. Will I still have to pay the £10 if I dont subscribe to sport? If I subscribe to sport for an extra £5 pm does that then wave the £10 sky+ charge and save me £5 a month?
    OER my head hurts.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Well SKY Premier and Moviemax are two seperate premium channels which are combined under the SKY movieworld banner so that should be enough to qualify for the SKY+ offer.
    Until we see it in print via the magazine or mailshot then all we can do is speculate:)

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

This is only the third step in SKY+ marketing.
    First was the plain £10 a month, no option.
    Then came the free SKY+ if you took the mirror sub and this is free SKY+ with specific packages.
    The next logical step is to make the SKY+ service free to anyone with the hardware.

SKY has no choice long term but to increase the "value" of it's premium and to a lesser extent the non-premium packages since cable and DTT will get stronger.
    Offering cheaper mirror subs and throwing in SKY+ is a way to increase value while not actually costing them any money,yes they lose some potential revenue but keep X amount of premium subscribers and encourage people to upgrade.

It is a common tactic in the retail and service sectors to offer higher value customers more "perks" and for some the deals are very good and others it has no real effect but hey that capitalism:)

10. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sounds like fairly good news,

As a current non Sky-subcriber with no interested in sport, what would be the cheapest way to get Sky+ under this offer? I'm prepared to wait further time if the deal isn't good to me.

Thanks,

Mark.

11. james payne

james payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning Mark.

If you took out the family pack + the Movie premium channels (Sky Premier & Moviemax) this should then qualify you for the £10 Sky+ sub being waived.

This offer applies only to those with at least 2x Premium channels. Although Premier & Moviemax are both movie channels they are counted seperately.

I think the package is called Movie World (£32 ?) and by taking this out you won't have to have sport and you can save yourself a tenner.

Hope this helps

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Depends who you speak to @ SKY.

Skyplus+ £199.00 plus £1 Installation
    Family Pack £18.50 + Skyplus+ Subscription £10 thats £28.50 per month.

Two Premium Movie Channels + " Free " Skyplus + Subscription will cost £29 minimum, to include all Family Pack channels costs more.

Depends how much you want Movie channels, I prefer to have all Family Pack channels so will carry on paying £28.50.
    Although right now may not be best time to get Skyplus+ as there is speculation the price will reduce from £199 for the Autumn ?

13. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Don't really want movie channels either, I just refuse to pay £10 to record content that I've already paid to watch.

This is the sole reason I don't have Sky.

I'd want the family pack and trying to work out the cheapest 2 premium channels.

There's too much stuff on SKy to monitor your recording preferences without the ease of Sky+ but they expect people to pay £10 extra to record it this way.

Not for me! I'll wait until I can record it in a convenient way for free, if it doesn't come I won't subscribe.

It's ridiculous to say that the fact it has an extra tuner justifies the cost, ANY VCR has an extra Tuner and you don't need a second licence to record terrestrial.

Mark.

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Only 105,000 Skyplus+ users according to Tony Ball, Sky are hoping for a boost to 300,000 and more.
    Apparently Sky research has suggested the £10 monthly fee is putting people off Sky+. :eek:
    It's taken them until now to realise ? :D

15. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm not even sure I'd pay £5 PM EXTRA for Sky+, but I might.

Sky+ could be the deciding factor for many people as to whether they will pay for Sky at all. Is for me.

Maybe they should do a deal for us non-subscribers to get us in? That'll please the long term faithful subscribers;)

£20PM Family Pack with Sky+ would just about tempt me:)

Not sure how many people have Sky anyway but:-

£2 PM from 3,000,000 subscribers = £6M
    £2 PM from 1,000,000 subscribers = £2M

Currently they get
    £10 PM from 105,000 subscribers = £1.05M

and with ANY sky package who wouldn't pay £2 for Sky+ features

The marketing guys at Sky must be pretty dumb not to see the potential here.

Mark.

16. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    HAving worked in several companies and with many more. The people in any marketing department were definately at the back of the queue when intelligence got handed out, so no it does not surprise me that it took Skty marketing this long to work it out. In fact I would be surprised if they did work it out even now. Its just that soemone else has come along with an arguement to the powers that is better.

17. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect that they have waited until they make a bit of money from the box, ie that it is cost effective to waive the sub. Since there is no effective competition to Sky+ any more, they could afford to do this at their leisure.

The irony is, this is yet another excuse for getting more money out of us. I think we can assume that the £199 pays for the Sky+ technology with cash to spare. So by making the sub "free" they're effectively trying to get more money out of the legions of Family Pack subscribers out there by making us think that the sub is £10 down the drain.

And it's obviously tempting - I mean, this offer effectively means that Sky+ Family Pack subscribers can get all the sports channels for £2.50 a month... even more tempting now Sky has a slice of Champions League matches.

18. Legendary

Legendary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think I will get it installed in my home once I get a new TV in November :) assuming my freelance work is still doing well :)

19. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,768
    I get confused with all the different Sky packages. I currently have the family pack and the Sports channels & Premiership Plus - does this mean I would qualify ?

20. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes.

21. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,768
    thanks
    Now all I have to decide is whether to get Sky+ or a HDD/DVD recorder

22. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or perhaps these people could not find the queue and missed out altogether...

23. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Good news at last. There was no way I was going to pay an Extra! £120 a year just for recording features. Mad.

Anyway.......a simple question.

Looking through past posts on Sky + bugs etc, if I get a Sky + box and for any reason it's a bit potty, can you use your original box with the card and feed from the LNB for the Sky+ box?????

Just in case. I'd go mad if bugs cropped up like some of the ones I've been reading about.

24. Jsinger

Jsinger
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering the move to Sky+, can anyone tell me how much content is broadcast in 5.1? Is it only the movie channels at the moment? Thanks.

25. IvorBigun

IvorBigun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to say i ordered Sky+ yesterday and they are able to install it on Friday (london area), price £199 plus £1 install.
    Man from sky seemed to think that once the deal became more widely known, demand would increase and therefore waiting times would increase.
    Also, he thought that the £1 install would revert to £50 so now may be the time to get your order in.
    I booked this directly with sky, as my local sat man who installed sky originally for me wanted to charge £350 for sky+, saying that they couldn't buy the boxes as cheap as sky can.

26. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    was that via their website or a phone order?

27. Ken Kutaragi

Ken Kutaragi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Order Sky+ Sunday via the website as they wouldn`t match the website price of £1 installion and were wanting £50. The earliest date the website would give me was next monday, anyone tried phoning them up to see if they can get it any earlier?

28. IvorBigun

IvorBigun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    neilybealy.

It was ordered via the telephone.

29. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    might have to go and buy myself a new toy

have you got a tel number and a ref to quote please?

30. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Just ordered mine over the phone for the price £199 plus £1 install.

The guy did say where did you hear about the scrapping of the monthly charge and seemed most concerned.

They are going to install on Sunday and I'll have to pay the balance of the months money about £5

I think the install will go up to £50 after 1st Oct so I may have saved myself £45 and got ahead of the queue when news really gets out, I hope....

Cheers