Sky+ £10 per month; then what?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Chippy99, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I was wondering... I know that the minimum subscription period is 12 months, but what happens *after* 12 months? I assume you own the Sky+ box, so you are free to cancel the £10 additional subscription and keep the box? (Or does some small print tell me I'm wrong?)

So if you do cancel and keep the box, what functionality do you lose? (And what do you keep?)

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Chip.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Once you've payed the £300 the box is yours no contract is required or needed for ownership.
    The £10 a month subscription activates the recording features of SKY+ so after the initial 12 months are up the choice is simple...

Keep paying the £10 and retain the use of SKY+ recording features including Live Pause
    or
    Cancel the SKY+ subscription and just use SKY+ as a digibox with optical audio out and S-video.

3. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Thanks.

Are you sure live pause will get disabled? I can see that they could remove access to the VCR capabilities, but I wonder if live pause might still work?

The idea of having DD5.1, s-video out and a generally faster box, and *not* paying £10/month could be appealing, *especially* if live pause still worked. I could live without the VCR facilities - I have a DVHS deck for that anyway.

Or maybe someone will come up with a way to "hack" the software? Hmmmmmmm.

Chip.

4. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Live pause works without the subscription. I know because I bought my own box from Comet and plugged it in before getting an independent installer to fit the LNB.
    Here's a tip too: Call up some of the independent installers listed in your local paper. Mine charged £35 for installation (and was a superb tradesman) and fitted it withn 2 days. And, much to my irritation after having coughed up £300 at Comet, told me he could have got me the box for £260ish trade.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I stand corrected although the only time I can confirm the fact Live Pause works without a sub is in 10 months:)

6. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Thanks Keiron - very interesting!

Incidentally, I am doing exactly what you say - going through a local indepenent. He *is* charging me £300 for the box, but he's installing everything for free :) Trouble is I am too busy to take time off work for the install until next week, so its planned for then. Can't wait!

Chip.