1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ £10 forever?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rochdale, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The thing that really gets me about the Sky+ £10 charge is that there is no indication that it won't last forever.

With the Tivo I can see a reason to pay a subscription, they update you with a channel guide every week so you can record stuff. With Sky the EPG is already available to people without Sky+ and has been for years, so what is the extra money for?

If it was a set period that you had to pay £10 for Sky+ then I could understand it because they probably subsidise the box. But to simply expect people to pay until their box dies (which lets face it will probably be a couple of years) and then pay full price again to replace their one year guarantee box seems stupid.

I would happily pay an extra couple of hundred quid upfront to avoid the eternal monthly fee if it was a box subsidy issue, but it seems to be more of a "milk them for everything you can get" thing. Especially when Sky "kindly" offer existing susbscribers an extra 50p plastic card to use with their spare Sky digital box for "only" £15 a month.

It's not like I can't afford it but Sky+ just seems like a rip off to me.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes, that would be $ky. They don't get any of my money.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There is no doubt that the £10 subscription buys no actual service, there is no subsidy, there is no payment to third party channels to provide extended EPG data and as for R&D well virtually everyother piece of electronics uses it's retail profit to finance the next generation.
    Simply put look at what SKY+ can do then decide if it's worth £120 a year or within a £15 mirror card deal.
    I keep paying the subscription because I can not imagine going back to my PACE2200 and sat control VCR and there is nothing out there that comes close to the SKY+ functionality.

On a more positive note I expect sooner or later marketing forces will make SKY offer SKY+ to basic SKYworld packages free of charge. The quicker non subscription DTT HD recorders appear on the market and cable starts to make inroads the earlier SKY will have to look at current premium services to maintain subscriber levels/revenues and not at the momment as a bonus revenue stream.