1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky- £1 for installation- offer ends 31st May.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by preston, May 13, 2003.

1. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Last month I was going to get Sky because if you ordered online you payed just £1 for standard installation when you subscribed to Sky World and Family Pack blah, blah, blah... It appeared that the offer was for April only but unfotunately I didn't get round to it.

Imagine my surprise when I recently checked the web site and the same offer was advertised for May.

Idealy I want to wait another couple of months but I don't know if I can risk it. Does anyone know how long Sky intend to offer the £1 deal?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The £1 and other offers have so far always been renewed as is or with some minor modification.
    For example if you had ordered on or before the 5th of May you would have got the £1 install plus the first months sub (£38) free.

3. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Starburst.

Is the "£1 install + free first month sub" as good as it gets?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There have been some offers advertised in the press for "half price" installation of £30 with free SKY sports for 3 months, of course you pay more for installation as newspaper ads cost SKY more to manage then online offers.
    Worth keeping your eyes open for offers in the press and your local electrical retailer who normally mirror those offers but the £1 & Free first month is the best online offer I've seen recently.

5. Uncle_Bill

Uncle_Bill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1 Installation sounds a bit cheap to me, what about the cabeling on/in the house, i bet the installation will be the fastest you will ever see and the cabling will be an eyesaw, as the sky installers are paid a bonus for hitting a target and dont seem to care for the quality of their work, this forum has alot of people talking about theip picture/sound quality, expensive interconnects, speaker cable. But what about the enviroment they are kept in it is no goog having top quality gear if the surroundings are not as well thought of as the equipment that the house.

£1 installation is not a very good thing to go for, quality installation and careful tidy work/installation is, unfortunately that will cost you more than £1

:)

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The £1 install is of course subsidised by SKY, the normal price for a SKY install by their own contracted fitters is £100.
    I would agree that by and large an independent installer being paid for the overall cost of the job will potentially do a better job and certainly will when an install isn't straight forward or as SKY put it "non-standard". With an independent dealer who will also get a say in the make of STB you want, that alone is enough for a lot of people to justify the extra cost.
    However with 7 million installs (sub and ex-sub) the majority of which will have been done under SKY's subsidised offers there are millions of satisfied customers and this and every other user forum is not really representative of the subscriber base.

7. Uncle_Bill

Uncle_Bill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a uk population of approximately 60 million 7 million installs is not a great deal, all independent installers charge the same price as sky installers for a standard installation, an independent installer would charge more than sky because they take appropriate care and time to study the installation site before drilling holes and tacking cable onto someones home, all independent installers that charge the same as sky have to pay a fee to sky which is less if there customer subscribes to the full channel package, they do not get a great deal of commision for selling sky tv but will guarantee that there customer would have been dissapointed if they had been serviced by sky installers.

Of course a better quality neat and tidy installation is worth paying for, the sky £1 offer is a loss leader not a special offer, you will have to subscribe to the full channel package which is expensive.

There are of course some very good installations carried out by sky installers, and there are some very bad installations carried out by independent installers, but in both cases these are minimal and an independent installer is the better option.

8. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My install will be very straight forward. I've just had my aerial upgraded and the independent installer advised me to drill my own hole into the living room because this is where it tends to get untidy with the Sky boys. The same installer did my father-in-laws Sky install because it required running cables under the house. He did a great job but as far as I know he uses the same kit. The decoder is panasonic btw.

As for the packages - My father-in-law got Sky World and Family Pack free for 1 month. He paid £100. If I go via the £1 route then I have to subscribe to Sky World and Family Pack for 1 month at £38 and then I can move to any package I like for the next 11 months. After that I can do what I want.

9. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just signed up tonight. I phoned up to ask for the Entertainment Package (Family) for £18.50 a month and £100 installation, but the very helpful Sky operator told me that I could go for the £1 install if I signed up for Sky World for the first month and then rang up to change it to the entertainment package on the same day as it's installed. It'll take 30 days to downgrade my package, so I'll have to pay £38 for the first month, and then just the £18.50 thereafter.

This is excellent - I'd always considered Sky to be rip-off merchants, but this operator just saved me £79.50!

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Bear in mind guys, you can do your own cable run and leave the fitter long tails to work with.

11. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just thought I would reserect this thread now I have seen the workmanship first hand...

Just had the £1 install and I can report that the the cable run is very untidy but everything else seems OK. I'm going to re-run the cable this weekend. I wouldn't recomend anyone to take up the £1 offer unless they are prepared to watch the installer like a hawk.