1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skullcandy skull crushers?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by alancolledge, Mar 2, 2005.

1. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can't find any threads on these. Does anyone have any first hand experience/experience of these?

2. longwori

longwori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a pair from ebay for about £40 all inclusive. Build quality is a bit iffy but I like the sound. They are not noise cancelling but have a built in "subwoofer" vibration effect that works quite well - certainly brought the movies to life on a long flight last month.

3. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your reply. Are they as bass heavy as the advertising would have us believe?

4. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dominic diamond reviewed these babys on some gadget show last year... he was comparin various headphones, while takin a bus journey ,for volume levels and quality.

he raved about the skullcandys (i though they were called skullcrushers earcandy but there ya go) and i been seekin out a pair ever since.
    he said they blocked out london traffic on an open top bus journey cuz they filled the listener with glorious sound!! hmmmmmm

but i wouldnt wear somethin that looks like that in public.. im a bud/earphone fashion victim when i step outdoors im afraid!

5. longwori

longwori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought them based on that review by Dominic Diamond. I found a couple of suppliers in the UK (I seem to remember Dabs was one) selling them for around £70 but bought them from ebay from an American seller for nearly half the price. Looking at the build quality, I would say they are not worth £70 but I am happy enough for the £40 I spent.

Are they bass heavy? Well, first let me say I am by no means an audiophile and I quite like processed sound but the bass on these is fully adjustable. On the cord, there is a small control box that contains a single AA battery. This box has a switch to enable the bass boost facility and once it is on there is a thumb-wheel to dialin the amount of the bass effect that you like. Therefore I would say they are only as bass heavy as you choose them to be.

As they cover the whole ear, they shut out a lot of the external noise and I have also found that there is not much leakage of sound to people around you too.

I am very happy with them for the cheap price I paid, and intend to use them with games on the PC too (when I have got an extension lead) as the bass will enhance gunshots and explosions too.

I hope this helps!

Ian

6. ohms

ohms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah ive had a pair of these...the bass is pretty heavy at times, but as an all round pair of headphones they are good and i would reccomend themm....pretty good price too.