Skoda Superb iV - Charge Point installation

jimbo3333

Standard Member
Hello All

A bit of advice if possible, hopefully I'm posting in the right section

In a few weeks time I will be taking delivery of a Superb iV Estate and would like to get a charging pod installed and am looking for recommendations for reliable installers, I live in Cheshire in the North west of England.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Regards

Jim

IronGiant

Best thing is to decide which charger you want and they usually have their own network of installers.

IronGiant

If they are worth their salt they will also liaise with Skoda and apply any manufacturer contributions and the OLEV grant.

nheather

Distinguished Member
We looked at the three main ones and decided on tethered charger by PodPoint because

1. They were the easiest to talk to
  2. They seem to have the better technology - very slightly
  3. They have a long lead 7.5m as standard, extra on the others

But do check with Skoda first in case they have any arrangements/deals. That wasn’t the case with Nissan so we were free to choose who we wanted.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

jimbo3333

Standard Member
I went partway through the process of filling in the online form for Pod Point to do the installation until they asked me to pay for the install,

so they wanted payment but I could not find out when the expected install would be, they also reserved the right not to do the install if they considered too risky due to Covid, all of this after taking my payment,

I then looked on Trusted reviews and have decided to look elsewhere for my home charger install.

Last edited by a moderator:

nheather

Distinguished Member
I went partway through the process of filling in the online form for Pod Point to do the installation until they asked me to pay for the install,

so they wanted payment but I could not find out when the expected install would be, they also reserved the right not to do the install if they considered too risky due to Covid, all of this after taking my payment,

I then looked on Trusted reviews and have decided to look elsewhere for my home charger install.
Yes I know what you mean. Think I have even posted elsewhere expressing my shock of being asked to pay the standard price in full before they have even confirmed the full price.

But to be honest, the other two I tried were just the same and more awkward to talk to.

One thing to check yourself - look at you gas meter and your mains water tap. Are there earth bonding straps on them. If not you need extra work to ground them. PodPoint do walk away having installed but leaving the system disabled by remote. You then have to arrange an electrician to sort the bonding out. PodPoint will then enable the charger remotely.

So do the check yourself now. If the bonds are there then all is good. If not you will want to find out if the installer will sort it out and if so how much or whether you have to get it done by an electrician.

If your house is relatively new (ours is 26 years old) it will have them (ours did).

Cheers,

Nigel

jimbo3333

Standard Member
Thanks for the heads up Nigel, unfortunately our house is a bungalow about 50 years old, however when we moved in a few years ago we virtually rebuilt it to modern standards,

I am now in contact with Ev Chargers.co.uk earlier in the week they asked for photos of my gas meter bonding, electric meter, and water bonding as well a a sketch of my ground floor with the electric c u and meter position,

I didn’t need to do a sketch as I had architects full plans of our house from the building work we had done so this is what I sent them, I also sent them a photo of my drive with my preferred position for the charger marked,

I heared back from the today and everything was in order except that the incoming electric supply which could be clearly seen on my photo was rated with a 60amp fuse, they advised I need to contact my supplier and upgrade this to 100amp, this I did my supplier is Octopus, I had to send them the same photo showing the 60amp fuse, so now waiting for Octopus to get back to me with hopefully a date to upgrade,

don’t know at this stage what they will charge me, I have informed Ev Chargers I will come back to them when I have a date for the upgrade, (it’s only changing a fuse)

upto now Ev have been good to deal with however if they want upfront money with no installation date the search will go on

cheers

Jim

IronGiant

I had a knock on the door about a month after the charger was installed, the installer had arranged for the change of fuse from 60-100A, which was done by (I think) SSE (we're Octopus too, so it's not done by them directly). I gather the delay was COVID related :)

Are you planning to change to an EV friendly tariff?

jimbo3333

Standard Member
I had a knock on the door about a month after the charger was installed, the installer had arranged for the change of fuse from 60-100A, which was done by (I think) SSE (we're Octopus too, so it's not done by them directly). I gather the delay was COVID related :)

Are you planning to change to an EV friendly tariff?
yes I believe Octopus have a good off peak tarif,

can I ask you Nigel what was the cost of the fuse upgrade ?

IronGiant

I can't answer for Nigel, but ours was free.

IronGiant

No worries :)

BTW we are in a ~50 year old bungalow too :)

nheather

Distinguished Member
Sorry Iron & Nigel, I got you both mixed up 🤣
Nothing was done or said about my fuse - so presumably it was 100A already.

I was a little fortunate with the water bonding. I had already checked that our gas and water fittings were already earthed with a multimeter so I was pretty confident. What I did realise is that the installer has to see the bonding straps and take photos of the tags.

Gas not a problem, but like many I imagine, we have kitchen units built in front of our water feed, with a hole cut for the tap. So the bonding strap is there but can’t be seen. Fortunately I got a ‘nice’ installer who took the kick board off and looked underneath. He could see the wire but not the tag. But he gave the wire a firm tug and said that it was clearly firmly attached to the pipe so that was good enough with him.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

jimbo3333

Standard Member
I had a knock on the door about a month after the charger was installed, the installer had arranged for the change of fuse from 60-100A, which was done by (I think) SSE (we're Octopus too, so it's not done by them directly). I gather the delay was COVID

That’s interesting IronGiant, so your install was carried out even though your fuse was 60amp and the change was made later, I was under the impression that the fuse needed to be changed before the install, I’ll check this with Ev Chargers, perhaps I can book the install in and Octopus can get to us whenever,

Ev did say 80amp minimum but you might as well change to 100amp.

Can I ask did you use your charger while you had the 60amp fuse in? If the car comes before the install I can use my normal outside 3 pin plug in the short term but obviously not ideal

Jim

IronGiant

Yes we used the charger, they recommended we only charge when we weren't using any other high drain devices and installed a current monitor on the incoming feed so that if the total draw ever exceeded 60A it would disconnect/trip the charger. It's not tripped yet so we'll leave it in place unless it becomes an issue.

jimbo3333

Standard Member
Yes we used the charger, they recommended we only charge when we weren't using any other high drain devices and installed a current monitor on the incoming feed so that if the total draw ever exceeded 60A it would disconnect/trip the charger. It's not tripped yet so we'll leave it in place unless it becomes an issue.
excuse my ignorance on this IronGiant, “current monitor” is this a clamp on device? & how does it trip the charger should there be an excessive current draw ?

Jim

IronGiant

Yes, it clamps onto the incoming live feed. They installed an earth monitoring system that supplies the charger, designed to cut the charger off if there is any anomaly that might cause the car to go live (see the discussion thread at the top of the page). The clamp is an additional feed into that.

ufo550

I'm a little concerned about all the talk of bonding gas & water pipes. As Iron Giant I've created a thread about ev chargers etc, not drawn from my little brain cell, but from persons with far more knowledge than myself.

However, I do know that not all gas & water pipes require bonding. They should be only bonded if they are extraneous. To bond something that is not extraneous to the installation, can make things more dangerous. Have a look at the thread, when you have some time, its very well explained by JW.

Also as said by @IronGiant your electricity cable supply is provided by Distribution Network Operators (DNO). They are the ones who can provide you with a different size supply; it may be they can change the main fuse to 100A. But sometimes on older properties, that may not be possible. A new supply will be 100A as standard.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Sean Connery: James Bond icon dies aged 90
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett