skipping commercials whilst recording

G

Gordan

Hi,
Would somebody know if there is DVD recorder that will be able to
skip commercials whilst recording rather then just having feature to skip commercials during playback?

Thanks,
Gordan

Don't think so, but if there was you might get killed in the rush.

You either have to pause it manually, or edit it out after.

Hitachi are shortly bringing out a recorder that recognises commercial breaks and skips them when recording.

Think it's out in a month or two, not sure of price though.

The Sony HX910 has "intelligent chaptering" which supposedly "recognises" when the programme changes to commercials and creates chapters which make for easier editing later.

I've heared about that, but how can it work as I don't think that there is any difference in the transmitted signal when the adverts are on???

No difference in the transmitted signal. It (supposedly) just picks up the sudden change of "pace" in the programming which occurs when the adverts start.

Well, that's the theory anyway. If it works in practice is another matter!

Putting chapter marks is one thing, if it worked would make editing them out a tad easier, but to not record parts that the player decided, not for me thank you, I don't want a computer deciding for me, they aren’t that good yet.

If you think about it, a TV station is dependant on advertising, so it would not be in their interest to transmit something that will make it that easy to not show advertising. Everyone would have a buffer player, start watching half an hour later and never see an advert and would not even have to jump forward.

Nobody watching adverts, advertisers not will to waste money, no money for programmes....no need of a PVR. :suicide:

They are a necessary evil, it will be interesting to see what happens when everyone has a hard drive and lots buffer and jump forward, so out of the audience of perhaps 10 million only a small proportion see adverts, how is the advertising industry going to react I wonder.

Sort of Catch 22 with advertising. :devil:

AVmaster said:
I've heared about that, but how can it work as I don't think that there is any difference in the transmitted signal when the adverts are on???

Your right mate

Advert breakes can be noticed, watch itv in anolgue and on some programs you can see the flashing black and white bit in the corner this shows that a break is coming up. Not sure if there is anything for the digital tv.

Vallyboy said:
Nobody watching adverts, advertisers not will to waste money, no money for programmes....no need of a PVR. :suicide:

They are a necessary evil, it will be interesting to see what happens when everyone has a hard drive and lots buffer and jump forward, so out of the audience of perhaps 10 million only a small proportion see adverts, how is the advertising industry going to react I wonder.

Sort of Catch 22 with advertising. :devil:

They could always switch to proper subscriptions or PPV - the technology is there now. No need for adverts at all.

Rob_J said:
Advert breakes can be noticed, watch itv in anolgue and on some programs you can see the flashing black and white bit in the corner this shows that a break is coming up. Not sure if there is anything for the digital tv.

Some channels change aspect ratio when adverts are on-IIRC there was a PVR in the USA that did this but it was withdrawn??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom