Skipping Cd

I love a sunflower

I have a brand new CD, and my CD Player, Sony CDP -XE530 which is about 17 years old starts skipping on the final track no 15, my in car CD player plays the track with no problems, I burnt a new CD using WMP and the track is played ok.

I bought a CD cleaning disc, which made no difference to the original CD, I took the CD player apart and swabbed the lens, and the original disc still skips just on track 15.
What's the cause do you think?

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
No idea if this would be the problem but last time I took apart a CD player to clean it, the metal rails that the mechanism moves along had some kind of grease on them and they were a bit gunked up at the ends. Cleaned them up a bit as well as cleaning the lens and my problem was solved but I have no idea which bit of the cleaning fixed it.

larkone

It could be a bad CD pressing that your CD player cannot read, it happens as have had the same. Proven by the fact that every replacement also skipped at the same point. Making a copy using a PC drive that has error correction to read the disc, as you have found, can get over the issue.

butcherpete

Many years ago, I had one disk that would skip like mad at a certain time on track no1, I gave up on it until last year, when I was ripping my CD collection, dBpoweramp ripped it perfectly... go figure

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 11

larkone

@butcherpete Error correction in a PC drive - will re-read until it gets good data - as stated in post3

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
It's one of the great mysteries - why a CD will play perfectly on one machine and refuse point blank to play on another. A special case on older players (rather older than yours though) concerns playing the final tracks on a long CD, especially with swing arm optical tracking mechanism. IIRC, Sony always used the radial mechanism they designed, so this won't be your issue. There's a basic discussion here.

As long as the problem is only for specific CDs, there's no point sending in the CDP for repair; if you do decide to get it serviced though, include the problem CD.

I would return the CD for replacement, once in any case; it may be faulty.

I love a sunflower

It could be a bad CD pressing that your CD player cannot read, it happens as have had the same. Proven by the fact that every replacement also skipped at the same point. Making a copy using a PC drive that has error correction to read the disc, as you have found, can get over the issue.
When it was ripping it was on 99% for ages, and after a while the final 2 tracks ripped.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom