Skint

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by joel88, Aug 21, 2012.

1. joel88

joel88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So, kind of a depressing/ranting thread to brighten up your Tuesaday.

Booked a hotel in June, for this weekend just gone. It was a special Advanced Payment rate, pay up front for a cheap rate. Booked, and paid (or so i thought).
    All my confirmation emails say 'PREPAID' and 'Advance Payment rate', and i was certain at the time that the money came from my account. I even asked the woman on the check-in desk if it was a 'advance payment' and she said yes.

Checked my account today, to find that they've taken the money out. Which has put me in the red. I've tried looking back on my past statements and can't find a payment out anywhere! I dont get it! I was certain.
    So friggin annoyed. For 2 reasons - 1, that i've been charged for this hotel when i thought it was all done, and told as much. Reason 2 - because i've let my fincance get in such a state where i have no money left again. It's a week until payday, so not a disaster, but very annoying and quite depressing.
    This is a monthly tradition - not having any money left. It's really getting to me now. I'm meant to be saving money for my wedding in less than a year.

I didn't think that i spent that much money on frivolities, but i dont know. Need to tighten the belt somehow, but not sure how.
    Up until i moved into this house (a few months ago), i was used to having money in the savings for things like this and it wouldn't matter. Now, nothing.

More of a rant than anything else.

2. Mr Noble

Mr Noble
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    like most future purchases really the funds are put on hold for a few days in the case of film / game purchases etc the card is then debited upon despatch this looks like what has happened in this instance.

3. joel88

joel88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    2 month delay!
    I dunno, perhaps the money didn't get taken out in June but i dont quite get why it's called a 'prepaid booking' or 'advance payment booking', or why the receptionist told me it was prepaid.

Spoke to the Hotel...they said i need to speak to accounts who shut at 5pm

4. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    carry a notebook everywhere with you, write down every penny you spend ( i mean every) it soon mounts up, i was surprised how much i fritted away on rubbish each month, then i cut out spending on crap, packed lunch for work instead of a sandwhich, drink, crisps and choccy bar from the shops (easily £3.50 a day there)

5. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    :confused::facepalm::rolleyes:

6. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,390
    Had this happen a few times to me with hotels, once when money really mattered so I know how annoying it is.

For me, I booked hotel rooms for a few friends to go to an airshow. This was ages ago when I was just starting out so £200+ was a big thing to me. I'd booked about 6 months in advance, my friends had paid up promptly when I booked.

So like you I thought it was all paid, so it was a real shock when we checked in and I was presented the bill.

You can argue that the hotel was being nice not taking the money up front, and that I didn't lose anything - but it is still a shock having to pay out a relatively large sum of money when you aren't expecting to.

Cheers,

Nigel

7. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    And you never even thought to see if the money had left your account .....

8. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,144
    Hotels take usually make a pre authorisation to guarantee your booking. I don't think they allowed to actually take the money until you have used the service.

9. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Oh, they can and do.
    I booked Jury's Inn Newcastle this past weekend on behalf of friends, but expected it only to be a guarantee and they would actually pay themselves on departure.

Nope, the hotel said the room was paid and all they had to pay for was any extras.
    So they're now due me for the room itself (not a problem)

It was undoubtedly a special 'no cancellation/no refund/no changes' rate.
    So in that case, they can charge you up front and your loss if you don't use the service.

10. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,390
    TravelLodge is a good example - as soon as you book online your money is taken, no matter how far in advance it is.

I've had plenty of others take money up front.

Equally, plenty that have just taken the card number to hold the room.

Cheers,

Nigel

11. joel88

joel88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I wouldn't class booking a one off hotel as frivolous.

As for checking to see if the money had left my account - i was certain that i did. I wouldn't of just taken the Hotel's word that they were goig to take the payment. Checked back through my old statements and can't see it anywhere. Feel like i'm going mad.

The most annoying/confusing part is that the woman on reception confirmed to me that is was an Advanced Payment booking. I thought they would of needed my card to authorise the payment, but i never gave it to her.

Like i said, i can't see it on my statements, so i'm guessing the money never went out, and at the ripe old age of 26 i'm officially going mad.

Noting down all of my purchases is a good idea, i'll try it........once i actually have some money to spend again.

12. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167