1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skint Newbie Questions - Data 600

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chris Rhys, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Chris Rhys

Chris Rhys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings! :hiya:

Desperate to get some high quality CRT home cinema going on I decided to do it on the cheap. With a bit of research I picked up an un-tested Barco Data 600 from ebay for £75 and an untested RCVDS 400 for £5. However the RCVDS was an American auction and it has cost another £45 for surface shipping at 4 - 6 weeks :(

So I'm trying to get all the bits I need while I wait until September for the controller needed to turn up. I was hoping to run from my 2 gig Celeron Laptop (I'll only be watching DVDs). I have ordered a 15 pin to 5 BNC 75 ohm cable and T connector for the H and V BNC's to go into the barco's Sync (i.e RGBHV - RGBS). For connecting the RCVDS 400 to the projector the only flat (2 row) 15 pin cable I could find was a 1.8m joystick extension.

With both units untested (and the long wait for the RCVDS) I decided to get a working original small white control box to make things easier. I contacted Roland@B4 Projection and he had one. Unfortunately I seem unable to get in contact to complete the purchase...

The projector has a label on the back from RSL Visual Communication Systems. The previous owner bought it working but was never given the promised control unit. Unfortunately he told stories of powering it up anyway without the unit which I know is bad for it... When he delivered it we powered it up just once to check that it did and I heard the fizz/crackle I'd been told to listen out for.

What do you guess my chances of getting a good picture are? This is a temporary table mounted gig in my parents garage so I'm not basing a room around it or anything. I just love the projected CRT image and how it brings cinematography to life. Also as regards screen size - how bad does the image get once stretched past it's optimum? I might be willing to compromise for something truly big...

Many thanks to anyone who has the time.

2. Chris Rhys

Chris Rhys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also does anyone know the wattage of the Barco RCVDS 400 quad? I need to know so I can buy an appropriate UK US voltage converter plug.

By the way this place has been a fantastic well of knowledge

All Good :thumbsup:

3. mediamogul

mediamogul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Try Henry at crtprojectors.co.uk for the little white box,he may have some of the other things too

4. flibble

flibble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've not used this myself, but this webpage has a circuit diagram for a simple RGBHV (vga) to RGBS (projector) convertor.

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/vga2rgbs.html

Has anyone on here had any experience building their own convertors or sync invertors?

Is the power from pin 14 of a vga cable enough to power the 7400 IC chips ?

Are 7400 chips fast enough to handle the data being pumped through them (presumably higher resolution and refresh rate uses more bandwidth) ?

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Chris I know we were talking via email / phone I ran out of time before my holidays.
    I don;t have a service manual for the RCVDS 400 but it will have a jumper to convert it to 240 volt.
    I've not had a cance to dig out your other bits yet but should get down to my storeroom during tonight.

6. Chris Rhys

Chris Rhys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my cousin found me an RCVDS quad in the conferance centre where he works. Obviously I've got the problem of outputting composite sync from my laptop so to test I hooked up my dvd player via S-videp through the RCVDS and got an image with all the green leds lit :thumbsup:

Over the next few days I started setting up and by Tuesday I had a good image. I was just getting the hang of converging and the image was looking all lovely - I starting seeing the promised "depth" :D

Then I dropped a screwdriver into the unit and with it still live I decided it would be a good idea to poke the pliers in to pick it up...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Needless to say I touched a board, sparks flew and the image died. After 24 years of life passing before my eyes I powered the Barco back up. Red leds starting coming on, no image, then I smelt the melting plastic and saw smoke coming from one of the boards. I turned it off quickly then went down the pub to try and drown my self-loathing sorrows. I haven't been back into my garage since.

I'm such a -

I obviously didn't deserve a bargain Barco :(
    If anyone knows of repair possibilities or such I'd love to know but understand if you think me too much of a wally to bother replying.

7. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've all been there, done that and got the t-shirt, so you're in good company :)
    What leds are on what are green what are red... give as much info as possible.
    Which board did the smoke come from, can you identify the part number that burnt?
    I will give as much help as I can.

John

8. Chris Rhys

Chris Rhys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to know I'm not alone ;)

I powered the projector up today briefly. The buzz was very loud and I started smelling burning plastic again after a few seconds so turned it off. I noticed that the green led on the SM Power Supply lit (where the width pot is located) but it wasn't on long enough to check the scan leds on the side. The smell seems to be coming from a board just to the left of the SM Power Supply (looking towards the screen). The board I sparked was the one featuring the 9 Vertical Geometery pots and the Horizontal shift and width controls, located on the far left/ back. I'm guessing the pliers touched this to the back of the red. How this relates to the burning smell seeming to come from the middle I'm not sure...

Any suggestions as to how to proceed from here? I'm pretty sure that the unit is in good enough condition for proper repairs to be justified or is it just a case of replacing a board? Two data 600's hang un-used in the conference center where my RCVDS came from... If I know the board to replace it might be a good source. However the fact that I can't really operate the unit to test leaves me at a loss :confused:

Many Thanks

Chris.

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Chris I'm breaking a BD600 chasis. tubes and lenses have gone and I need the top cover but you are welcome to rest of it. As far as I recall it was a runner (definitely no smoke) :)

10. Chris Rhys

Chris Rhys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're a life saver Roland, much appreciated.

Any guesses as to what specifically is cooking each time I turn on? Do you think it's now safe to remove the board that is my chief suspect (with the power off :rolleyes: )

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    imposible to say. The fact you have burning tends make me think the Power supply is still up. The 600 chassis didn't have the proper shutdown circuits that the newer digital machines now have.

You are safe to pull the board and try to find the burnt component. because of the interconnection between the boards quite often shorting one will cause something elsewhere to blow.